Chapter 23 - Michael

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

It takes Cade a few days to get over the fact that I'm a girl, and to forgive Sadie and me for forgetting he was alone in the forest naked. We came back for him with clothes after a while. He wasn't too happy with me for keeping Sadie distracted, but there was already so much awkwardness that he didn't dare say anything.

He only got over it when the pack, especially his brothers, started questioning him about forgiving me so fast. I was with Sadie in her room, which was right next to his when it happened. The door was open and they didn't know I was listening in for the both of us.

"Just last week, you were planning this guy's murder," Jared pointed out with irritation, "and now you're best buddies with him? It just doesn't make any sense!"

"First Logan gives him the all-clear, then Reena and Sadie are all loved up on him, and now you're telling me everything you thought was wrong with him before has now just vanished?" Sam demanded sarcastically. "This guy is brainwashing our pack one by one and winning them over somehow, and he has started from the top of the pyramid! Are we next?"

"Enough with the conspiracy theory!" Cade ordered, raising his voice authoritatively. "Look, I was wrong about Michael. He's not after Sadie, and he's definitely not got anyone brainwashed. He's just like the rest of us... he's trying to fit in somewhere. And you know what? After the way we've been treating him, I can't really blame him for resenting us. I mean, his family's been nothing but respectful and friendly, yet we throw accusations at him left and right, like he's some kind of criminal, and he doesn't deserve that. So just do me a favor and lay off him, alright?"

Beta Cade is in the house, ladies and gentlemen!

If that's what second in command is like, what the hell is Logan like when he's truly going alpha? I sure as hell don't want to find that out.

From then on, Cade is more willing to join us when Sadie and I hang out. I have to say that it's interesting having him around. The only males I have ever had were my brothers, and even though they know my secret, they've always treated me as one of them, because of Dad's plan to keep up appearances even in the seclusion of our own home.

Being around Cade is strange; I can't really say we're friends yet, but it feels like there's something brewing at least. For instance, he has been better at helping me keep the secret than his girlfriend. Sadie likes to make comments out loud that somehow relate to my gender, when she thinks no one can hear. But we live among werewolves; there's always someone who can hear. Cade's the one who stops her from going too far.

This one time, we went to the movies with two of my brothers, Logan, Reena and Zoey. Danny was talking to Zoey in the corner and Connor was taking Logan's advice on something I guessed was mate related. The three of us and Reena were in charge of picking out a movie for everyone to see. Sadie really wanted to watch a romantic comedy.

"Reena and I want to see it, and I'm sure it's Dylan's type," she remarked.

Cade gave her a look. "Why would Michael want to see a chick flick?" he hinted. "Besides, we outnumber you five to three, so we get to say no on that one."

Sadie didn't reply at the time, but she did apologize later on when it was just the two of us. Turns out, I took Marianna for granted all this time because it always seemed so easy for her to keep my secret.

The fact that Sadie's having trouble with her choice of words is an indicator that even though I don't look like one, she certainly thinks of me as a girl, all the freaking time. I'm almost glad Cade found out at the same time, because he's always hanging out with us now, and he's keeping her in check. They're both even helping me carry out pranks every Sunday.