Chapter 4 - Sadie

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

Zoey is pouting a lot recently. She's been holing up in her room more than usual, and when she's not, she's always on her cell phone playing on one app or the other. Even Zack noticed her weird behavior, and he's ten. I tried to talk to her, but she shut me out like she has never done before, and I don't know how to handle that.

Mom and Dad suggested that we give her time by herself. Last week was the first time she visited Trent's -her and my biological father- grave. Our parents thought she might want to, now that we're moving and might not come back. It's still too new for her though.

"Just worry about what you're going to do on your first day and leave me alone," she retorts during the car ride to school when I try to get her to open up again.

We're already an hour late because she took her sweet time pulling out of bed and getting dressed. Our parents gave her a good scolding, but she responded with an indifference that puzzled even them. I have no idea what to say to make her feel better, and now we're going to be late for first period.

Cade squeezes my hand from the driver's seat, silently telling me to drop it. But it's not in my nature to let things go; I'm headstrong, and when I set my mind to something, I don't stop till it's done. And I can't watch my sister be miserable without trying to cheer her up.

"Zo, I just want to know what I can do," I insist. "How can I help if I don't know what's bothering you?"

"God, you're relentless! I don't want your help," she snaps. "All you're doing right now is annoying me more."

I'm shocked into silence for a moment. Zoey has never yelled at me before. We may have our differences but she is my sister, my only full sibling. Our mother got engaged to our stepfather Joseph when Zoey was in the womb. They knew each other years before that, although she never knew he was a werewolf until after Trent died and they fell in love. Zoey was born a couple of months before they were married.

Joe is a pretty amazing father, and Zack is the funniest little brother ever, but there's still a bond that only Zoey and I have due to us sharing a biological father. I may be difficult at times, but we've always been able to get along in spite of that. Whatever is bothering her must be more serious than I thought.

She takes advantage of my shocked silence to block me out by plugging her earphones in and playing loud music on her phone. This is the first barrier she has ever placed between us. I'm hurt by this. For obvious reasons, she and I never had friends we could share everything with, so we always confided in each other.

"Don't take it personally, Sade," Cade tells me. "Listen to your parents' advice; give her time. She'll come around on her own."

I sigh in surrender. "I don't like feeling useless."

"I know," he says. "But I think this is one of those times where you have to learn not to push her."

I nod wordlessly. I'll live with Zoey's silence, but I definitely won't like it.

"Hey," Cade calls my attention. I look at him. He's still driving, but his eyes are on me, and his entire face is smiling. "I love you."

My heart flutters happily hearing the words, and I beam. I'm still not used to the effect he has on me, or how deep my feelings for him are. It always takes me by surprise that I can still smile like an idiot whenever he tells me he loves me, even though I have been hearing it for years now.