Chapter 20 "Roses"

They fell asleep on the hospital bed that day.Calm and peaceful they both lied there holding each other.

It was probably the first time since the battle that Draco had slept okay, the first time that he had closed his eyes and didn't wake up because of nightmares and bad memories.

He just slept peaceful, no dreams, no nightmares, nothing.

When he woke up Hermione had already opened her eyes, never leaving his side of course.

She was just gazing at him, smiling softly.

He looked back at her, her face relaxed, her eyes without tears.
_______________________________________

Draco left the hospital some time later  along with Hermione.

However, she returned to her dorm while he visited the headmistress after her request to do so.

He uncomfortably sat on a chair, still in pain.

Mcgonagall gazed at him from the other side of the desk.

"So how are you feeling Mr Malfoy?"

"I've been better." He replied sarcastically.

"I wanted to talk to you about that night." She continued ignoring his answer.

"What?" He asked.

"Unfortunately we don't know where Mr Nott is, that automatically means that you are still in danger."

"I can handle Alex, I just wasn't prepared."

"It's not only about Mr Nott.He's just following orders."

"So what do you think I should do?Leave Granger and hide in a cellar?"

She took a breath.

"No Draco.I just want to make sure that you understand how serious this is.If you had come to me earlier, before the attack we would be able to handle it better.Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that this isn't only about you and Miss Granger.It's about you betraying in a way Voldemort's followers and of course your family.At least this is what they think you have done."She paused and looked at him, seeing a bit of misunderstanding in his eyes."You know better than me that your family was and is a very important one for Voldemort's followers even after his death.Now that your father isn't here, they want to make sure that you are still on their side.But you are not.So they now trying to make you understand that you've made a mistake but it's obviously too late to take it back.They want revenge, for your father."

Draco remained silent, looking at his professor, his eyes sparkling, his mouth half open, his mind ready to explode with all this information that he already knew but had never before heard it from someone else.

He swallowed and broke eye contact for just a second."Do you think that I've made a mistake?"He asked flatly after turning to look at her again.

She stared at him for a moment, a bit suprised by his sudden question.

"No, Draco.I think that this was one of the best desicions you could take.I'm  proud of you." She smiled at him slightly and he suddenly felt a bit uncomfortable.

He broke eye contact again and run a hand through his blond hair.

"It's just..I mean..sometimes.."

"What, Draco?"

"I feel like I'm losing myself."He said faster than he was planning too."This whole situation is, strange.The Draco that I know would never do the things that I've done and I'm doing."