Salt

I lay away looking up at the ceiling, it's always hard to go to sleep without Mia here to hold. Even if there is another girl beside me. Beth moves and I look down at her. She is pretty, her long red hair covers the pillow she sleeps on. Her eyelids flutter as a soft hum comes from her lips. My eyes travel her naked body, it wasn't Mia's body but she had curves and was tall, with long legs. I smile remembering them long legs wrapped around my waist earlier. Fuck, the sex was good and you would think I would be in dreamland after a good fuck like that but nope. She wasn't Mia, no matter how close she laid or how good she smelt she didn't feel like Mia she didn't smell like Mia.

I know I should just get over it and move on Mia and I are just best friends nothing more. Ok, so we had a couple of little adventures there. Hell Mia tasted good, my mind goes back to the last time in my truck with the chocolate bar that had been over a month ago and we were still trying this new sleeping thing. She had called me from time to time needing me and I had to call her every once in a while just to get some sleep. But so far we spent our nights apart from each other. It was killing me, I don't know how she was taking it. At school, she would tell me she was doing good and sleeping alright but Mia wanted everything to be alright so I had a feeling that everything wasn't alright.

I look back at Beth once more than get up without waking her, grabbing my cell I head for the bathroom closing the door so I won't wake anyone. It rings two times before she picks up.

"Hey"

"Your not asleep," I ask

"Your not either"

"No, I miss you Mia" I hear a sob "Oh baby don't cry"

"What are we going to do"

"We can't just not sleep Mia it's unhealthy"

"I know"

"Let me dress and I'll come to get you"

I hear her laugh "It's almost one in the morning"

"I know but neither one of us is going to sleep unless I am there with you or you are here with me"

"Alright what well we do"

"Go walking on the beach"

"See you soon"

We hang up, I get a shower and dress then head out its three in the morning when I step up on the Lucas' front doorstep. Mia opens before I can knock a smile on her face.

"Ready"

"Let's go"

We head out, once at the beach we walk along the shoreline barefooted beside each other. It's quiet at first the sound of the waves hitting against the bank and the morning birds are all we hear. The smell of salt water and Mia sorrowed me. I glance over at her as we walk not saying a word.

"The sun's coming up" she brakes the silence

I look out to see the pinks, purple, blue, yellow, and gray hues coming up over the horizon. The sun just peeking out from over the clouds as the moon sinks down behind. It was an amazing site to behold truly something to take one's breath away. The water below was shining with little twinkles of water that looked like diamonds in it and the sky reflect off of it. Just memorizing.

"It's beautiful" she smiles

My eyes go to her and she takes my breath away, in the glow of the sun. Yes, I knew she was beautiful but never this beautiful. She wears a white sundress that cuts off at her mid-thigh. It has a sweetheart neckline with small strips. Her curly blond hair is pulled up in a ponytail with a couple of loose strands around her face. Her blue eyes shine as she looks up at the sky, no make-up, no shoes this was the Mia I remember the carefree girl full of love and laughter.