19. Sanem Aydin, Will You....(ep36)

The fragman for ep 36 just came out,  and the proposal seems lovely - he said all the right things. But there was a bit of a debate online about whether it should have been in such a public setting. Its true that Can didn't know everyone would be there, but Sanem does have to control her reactions a little bit because of friends and family.

I love that with fanfic, we can have both 😊

This is an alternate second proposal that's a little more private. Thanks to Safaa for the prompt!

-------------------------------------------

Sanem's confession in his office - that she was trying to set up a surprise birthday party for him later in the evening - made Can feel extra loved. What did he do to deserve her? But the fact that she had to ask Huma for permission to use the house grated a little. Why should that woman be a part of any of the decisions Sanem and he made? He really needed to move out of the house. The cabin obviously was not suitable for everyday living. An idea started to form in his head and his grin grew bigger as he headed out of the office. He called Sanem and told her he would pick her up a little earlier then planned.

That evening he drove to Sanem's house at around 6 and rang the bell. She opened the door - and took his breath away. She was wearing a beautiful, short, pink dress with a low-cut neck that was doing things to him. Her hair was partially tied in a knot at the top of her head, exposing her lovely cheekbones, and she had on the highest heels he had seen her in yet. She was almost up to his nose, and her lips seemed invitingly close to his. He gave her quick, full kiss on her lips before her parents could see them, and twirled her around. "You look so beautiful Sanem, Mashallah!", he said in her ear.

"You look beautiful too, Can", she said, running her hands up his lapels. "I love this suit, it reminds me of the day at the Opera. I can't wait to show you what I have planned for you", she smiling happily.

They got into the car and listened to some current favorites on the radio, as Sanem bopped to the beat. Her energy was infectious - maybe one day I'll bop with equal abandon, he laughed to himself.

Soon they arrived at his childhood home, and Sanem looked around confused. "What are we doing here Can?"

He was quiet for a second as they sat in the car, searching her face. "I've been thinking that its time I moved out of the main house. Its my father's house anyway, and looks like Anne is here to stay. Lately I've been feeling the need for my own space. The hut doesn't really have everything I need. So I've been thinking about renovating this place, and making it my home", he said. "Come on, I just wanted to check  it out again. Its been a while since I came here".

This time he had the key and they went in through the front door. The inside of the house was surprising well preserved. Sanem loved the high ceilings with its crown molding, and the large bay windows that gave her a breathtaking view of the city they both loved. Can headed out to the backyard and Sanem kicked off her heels, and followed suit. Both of them stood quietly at the fence watching the sights and sounds of the city.

"Close your eyes", he said, turning to her.

"Are we playing this game again?", she asked smiling, but she did.

Can came up close and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her flush against him. "Tell me what you hear", he whispered.

"Your heart. Its beating louder than all the sounds of Istanbul", she whispered back at him.

He held her tightly for a second and then dropped his arms and she felt bereft, missing him instantly.

"Open your eyes, Bitanem"

Sanem opened her eyes to see him standing in front of her, the moonstone ring inside the open box in his hand.

His voice was soft when he spoke, "This place is special to me. It's where I first told you I loved you. We've been through so much since then, but it has only made my love for you grow stronger. Sanem Aydin, my heart, my other half, my everything, will you marry me?

I want us to build our future here -in this house.  I want to hear the sound of the city, the boats, the waves and the wind. But more than anything, I want to hear the sound of your laughter, the sounds of our children playing, our dogs and cats running around in the backyard, the sound of you writing your stories on your computer, the quiet sounds of the city going to sleep as we lie in each others arms. I want us to grow old together, here, in this house. Will you share that dream with me?"

The tears flowed freely down Sanem's cheeks. She couldn't find the words, so she nodded, half laughing and half crying as she threw her arms around him - kissing his neck, his cheeks, his lips.

"Caaaan, I love you so much, I feel like my heart will burst. That first time when you told me you loved me, it broke me not to be able to say it back. But I had so many secrets and I didn't dare to hope that you would love me if you knew them. I want all of those things too Can - with you. Only with you."

He slipped the ring onto her finger and gathered her up in his arms, kissing her deeply. She opened her mouth to him, their tongues meeting, tangling - hungry and sweet in turns. He could taste her salty tears, and it filled him with emotions he could not begin to describe.

After what seems like an eternity, he gently lowered her, but didn't let go. She balanced her bare feet on his shoes, snuggling to get closer. "Children, huh?", she smiled into his chest.

He nodded emphatically, "Children. And dogs, and cats, and birds. I want this house to be full of joy and laughter. I want it to be everything my childhood was not. I want them to be surrounded by love and happiness - all the things you had growing up in the mohalle."

"Oh Canim", Sanem smiled up at him lovingly, "We will have all of that, I promise"