18. Finding My Way Back To You #LeyEm

The one big upside to these last few episodes is that Emre has really grown on me. This is the redemption arc I did not see coming and I'm here for it. I think Leyla and Emre are perfect together and I want to see them find their way back to each other. So here's a start. Occurs after episode 35.

.................................

The night after the disastrous dinner with the Aydins, Emre didnt fall asleep for a long time. That exchange between his brother and his mother, and Nihat's words in the restaurant, they played in a loop in his head. He realized how much his mother, and Aylin to some degree, had influenced his thought processes and how he viewed the world. He was grateful to Can and Sanem for giving him a fresher, more real-world perspective. Money and social status could not buy love. You don't choose your family but you do choose the one you love, and if they can make you a better person, help you navigate life in the best way possible, then you chose wisely. Leyla was his wise chose, he knew that before, but it was cemented in his mind now. He went to bed with a renewed determination to win her back.

The following day was a busy one at work. Melis really was not up to task and he was running low on patience. He kept hoping Leyla would show up again and give her a few pointers, and give him a few minutes of joy in the process. He couldn't deny that he relished the little sparks of jealousy he saw in her every time she saw him with Melis. If only she knew what she did to you him every time she stopped by. Ah Leyla ah.

That evening, on his way out, his feet took him of its own volition to the Publishing House office. What are you doing Emre? What are you going to say to her? He thought to himself. Maybe thank her for the time she's spent with Melis? Yes, I've done that already -many times! One more time is not suspicious, nope, not at all.

He walked into the office and saw Leyla at her desk, working diligently like he knew she would be. She didn't even hear him come in and he took a minute to look at her. She looked beautiful as always. He cleared his throat and she looked up startled.

"Emre Bey! What are you doing here? Does Melis need my help? She screwed up again, didn't she? You want me to fix it again, huh?", She smiled teasingly.

Emre laughed out loud and sat down across from her. "Actually she's doing good with the things you taught her. I just wanted to come and thank you again. She couldn't have done it without you."

"Oh", Leyla said. Was that disappointment he heard? Emre smiled to himself.

"So last night was a disaster, Sanem probably told you. My mom behaved really badly and that's another reason I stopped by. I want to apologize to you and your family for her behavior. She raised me single-handedly and we have had some tough times, so I use that as a reason to excuse the things she says and does, but she did cross a line yesterday and I'm sorry your family was on the receiving end. Please let your parents know that I feel terrible about it and extend my sincerest apologies".

Leyla was touched. She really wasn't expecting that from him. "Thanks Emre Bey, that's really sweet of you. I very much appreciate it and my parents will too", she smiled widely at him.

"So what's been happening on that show we watched together? Have you been keeping up? I haven't had a chance to watch it in a while. Tell me what's been going on", he said, reluctant to leave so soon.

Soon Leyla was deep into the story, getting more and more animated as she spoke, gesturing with her hands to drive home the point. That's when he noticed the missing ring.

"Leyla!", he interrupted her mid-sentence. "You're not wearing your ring. Is everything ok?"

Leyla was immediately flustered and she tried to hide her hands under the table, but he caught her hand in his and turned it over, holding it firmly but gently.

"Ummm, Osman and I decided to call it off. We were not together for the right reasons. We both knew that", Leyla said quietly.

Emre didn't say anything for a minute, drawing random patterns on her palm with his thumb, he finally looked up and asked "And you're ok with that decision?"

"Evet", Leyla nodded emphatically. His thumb moving on her palm was sending tingles through her that reached her toes and she had to stop herself from shivering. This is what its supposed to feel like, she thought to herself. Reluctantly she pulled her hand out of his and lay it in her lap.

"Leyla"

Would she ever tire of the way he said her name, all husky and drawn out? "Emre Bey?"

"Can I take you to dinner tonight? As a way to say thank you? For old times sake? Lütfen?", Emre said hopefully.

Lyla nodded happily. "I'd like that. Let me just wrap up here and we can go. If you don't mind waiting"

"I can wait for as long as it takes", he smiled meaningfully.

Leyla, held her palms up to her cheeks. Am I blushing? Get it together girl! It's only dinner!

She closed down her computer and they walked together towards the garage. His hands brushed her's as they stepped out the door and she didn't pull away. Emre hadn't felt so hopeful and light-footed in a long time.

Her logical mind reminded her that they still had a long way to go, but tonight Leyla was going to live a little. "Shush", she said to the voice in her head.