Chapter 35

Hello!!! Sorry it took me awhile for this update! I just started school back up this week, and I've had so much homework and such! And I've been busy with this really big football game that happened yesterday! I'll try to update everyday, but I highly doubt that I'll be able to. So I apologize in advance, just be patient. I hope you all like where this is heading. Who do you want to be the father? Why? i'm just curious to what ya'll are thinking... love you! thanks for reading, voting, and commenting! I appreciate it! :)

* * * *

*1 month*

(Claire’s POV)

I fidget nervously in the passenger seat on the way to the DNA Diagnostics Center, trying to distract myself from how scared I was. I glance over at Josh, his hands gripping the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles were white. I exhaled loudly and glanced out the window. “It’s going to be fine babe.” I feel his hand slide into mine. I shoot him a weak smile.

At least Niall wasn’t here with us. I would be even more nervous with him around. He didn’t want to risk being caught by the paparazzi. It wasn’t something he wanted to explain to the press. For my sake. For Josh’s sake. For his sake. Anyways, they only needed blood samples from one of them.

My heart starts to beat a little faster as the building comes into view. “Here we are.” Josh mutters and parks the car. “Are you ready?” He turns toward me. I shake my head, feeling an echoing in my ears. I really need to calm myself down. I was working myself up for nothing.

A cold sweat broke out on my forehead. “Shhh… babe… calm down. You’re going to be okay. Trust me.” His hand rubs my back comfortingly, talking in a soothing voice. He takes me in his arms, where I lay my head on his chest. The steady sound of his heartbeat slows my mind a little.

“I’m ready.” I say and pull back, taking a deep breath. “Let’s go then.” He gets out and walk around to my side, opening the door and helping me down. His hand finds mine as we walk side by side into the DNA Diagnostics Center. Just touching him made me feel better.

After talking to a receptionist, Josh and I head back to separate rooms to get our blood drawn. “I love you.” He stops me. “I love you too, Josh.” His lips meet mine. I pull back. I give him a little wave with my fingers before leaving his side, and going into my room.

My head spins as I look all around the room. I make my way to the chair with shaky legs, almost falling over. Breathe, Claire, breathe. I told myself. Soon, a lady in a long, white coat enters the room and shoots me a warm smile.

“Hello dear. How are you today?” She asks me, as she pulls rubber gloves over her hands. “I’m r-really n-nervous, to be honest.” I say barely audible. The fact that blood was involved made me even more queasy. I didn’t do well put in situations like this. “You’re going to be fine. It’ll be done and over with before you know it, and you won’t feel a thing. I promise.” I watch as she fiddles with a syringe in her hand. The sight of it made me go stark white in the face.

She takes a seat next to me, and takes a cotton ball out of her coat pocket. I suddenly feel a coolness against my skin. “It’s just alcohol to clean the skin.” She explains, after seeing my eyes grow wide. I simply say oh and then relax again, telling myself to stop overreacting. I glance over at her, noting that her nametag read Jackie. She was prepping the needle. “Looking away might help.” She suggests.

Taking her advice, I direct my attention to a poster hanging on the wall. There was a pregnant woman on it, with a man at her side. It said several things on it, such as “5 day wait on test results”, “the fast, simple way to find out the father of your unborn baby”, and “affordable, easy, fast”.

I feel the needle enter my vein, feeling like someone is pinching my skin. This was the part I hated the worst. The time the needle was in the vein, taking my precious blood. About three minutes later, I feel her slide the needle out.

“Alright dear. I’m all done.” Jackie says as she holds my blood in her hands. I had to admit that it was better than expected. She didn’t even take that much blood, thankfully.

“I can leave now?” I question and begin standing up, feeling a bit dizzy, the after effects of getting blood drawn. “Of course.” She smiles. I start walking out of the room, but stop and turn around, facing her. “How long will I have to wait until I get the results?” I chew at my lip. “In three to six days. You’ll get the results by mail.” She explains to me. I nod and thank her before walking out of the room.

I’m greeted by Josh who is leaning against the wall. “You okay?” He rushes up to me, probably noticing that I’m whiter as a ghost. “I’m fine. Really. It wasn’t that bad.” I sigh, suddenly feeling very drained.

At least I didn’t have to worry about getting DNA from the baby today. I’m glad I got that taken care of with my OB/GYN a couple days ago. The stress of both of those would have drove me up a wall.

I feel his arm slide around my waist, supporting me. We walk out of the building and to the car, thankful that we filled the paperwork out before hand.

As I got situated in the passenger seat, I lean my head against the window and think of how torturous these next few days will be. The wait was going to be the death of me.