Chapter 7

“Claire.”

I hear as I slowly open my eyes and feel someone shaking me gently.

“Wake up, baby.” Josh’s familiar voice says to me.

“How long was I sleeping?” I ask through a yawn.

“About a couple hours.” He smiles.

“Did you fall asleep too?” I sit up and stretch my arms above my head.

“No. I kept myself occupied by taking pictures of you sleeping. I tweeted them a couple minutes ago.” He smirks. “You’re so dead Devine.” I say and then reach for my phone that’s sitting on the nightstand.

When I go onto the Twitter app, I see my mentions flooding with new tweets. Most of them were from directioners asking if Josh and I were together.

“You look so delicate when you’re asleep. I could watch you forever.” He runs a hand through his hair. “I would tell you to take a picture because it lasts longer, but it seems like you already did.” I laugh as I look at the twitpics.

The caption of one of them caught my eye. “My sleeping angel, Claire” It said. It made my heart skip a beat for some reason.

“Oh shit! We better get going.” Josh jumps off the bed. “It’s concert time already?” I ask as I stand up, stretching a little more.

“Yeah, Paul said we were leaving at four. And it’s, holy shit… 3:55.” He grabs a bag that is sitting on one of the hotel chairs and takes my hand.

We run down the hallway to the elevator. He pushes the button multiple times.

“Come on.” He mutters just as the door opens. “I hope they don’t leave without us.” He says as the elevator goes down ten floors to the lobby.

When the door opens on floor one, he darts out of the lift, my hand still intertwined with his. He starts running towards the front of the building.

Thankfully one of the Range Rovers is still waiting outside. Josh opens the door and we both pile in.

“Tsk tsk… why so late?” Liam asks the two of us. It was only him and Paul in the vehicle, other than Josh and I. Everybody else must have already been on their way to the arena.

“We lost track of time.” Josh blushes as the car takes off.

“Were you doing something you that shouldn’t be?” Liam raises his eyebrows, giving us an uncomfortable look.

“We were just hanging out, and Claire fell asleep.” Josh looks over at me with a grin.

“I saw your pictures on Twitter. You look adorable when you sleep.” Liam punches my knee playfully with a chuckle.

“Just remember to stay safe when you’re doing more than sleeping, okay?” He says a little too seriously than I expected. “Okay…” I trail off, feeling as though the moment turned awkward.

“Eh-em… we figured out what we’re doing in Niall’s absence.” He thankfully changes the subject. “We’re all gonna take turns singing his solos.” He explains.

“How are you going to explain to everyone why he is missing though?” I ask as I pick the dry skin around my thumb nail.

Liam shifts around in the passenger seat. “We’re all trying to come up with something…” He trails off, letting the subject drop.

Thankfully we arrive at the arena and we can escape the awkward conversations.

While everyone was at sound check, I play with Baby Lux. It takes my mind off things.

Then suddenly, I see a flash of blond that walks into the room.

“N-Niall, you’re back.” I stutter and stand up shakily. “I wasn’t planning on letting everyone down.” the tone in his voice catches me off guard. It almost has an edge to it.

“Can we talk after the concert?” I ask nervously, unsure of how he would react to anything at the moment. “I don’t really want to talk to you, Claire.” His eyes narrow as he crosses his arms.

“W-why not? I don’t understand what I’ve done wrong here. Why are you upset with me?” My eyes grow wet.

“After I thought long and hard about it, I don’t really like the face that my two best mates are dating.” His facial expression softens a little as he notices the tears rolling down my cheek.

“You’re angry at me because of that?! Grow up, Niall! Why didn’t you just come out and say that? Why did you run away instead of facing your problems?” My voice gets louder with angry. I don’t realize I’m shouting until he takes a step away from me.

“Why didn’t you come after me?” He asks softly. My head drops as the question sinks in.

“I wasn’t going to chase you around. I’m sorry I didn’t follow you. I just assumed you wanted to be alone.” I said as I wiped my tears away. Lux looks up at me and shoots me a smile. It makes me feel a bit better.

“I wanted to be with you. Didn’t you realize that?” The contagious crier that he is had tears forming in his own eyes.

“Niall, is there something you’re not telling me? You’ve been different ever since Josh and I go together.” I point out.

“Would you just shut up about you and Josh?! Is that all that matters to you anymore?!” He yells. A loud sob escapes my mouth. When Niall got angry, it was a scary sight.

“Is this what all this is about? Are you jealous of us or something? Is that why you’ve been acting like this?!” I walk towards him, my anger starting to boil over.

“Maybe you would have realized that if you weren’t so focused on your new boyfriend!” His words hit me hard, making me take a step backwards.

“You’re the one that basically set us up! I can’t believe you would even say that!” I exclaim as big fat tears escape my swollen eyes. I stumble backwards and bump into the couch. I spin around, and this time I was the one running away.