Chapter 39

(Josh’s POV)

We all watched Niall as he stormed out the front door of mine and Claire’s apartment. All of our jaws were to the floor. We weren’t expecting him to act like that. It shouldn’t have come as a surprise to him that I was the father. He did already know that. So why was he acting like this?

Liam stood up abruptly and headed towards the door. 

“No mate. I need to talk to him.” I said and hurriedly rushed downstairs and out of the building, attempting to catch up to the young lad from Mullingar. 

“Niall!” I called after him. He didn’t even acknowledge me. He didn’t even turn around. He just kept on walking. Kept walking on ignoring me like the dick he’s been lately. 

I sprinted up ahead, nearly tripping over my own two feet, finally catching up to him. 

“What’s your problem man?” I grabbed his shoulder and whipped him around so he was facing me.

“What’s my problem? My problem? Josh, how can you not see? I’m in love with your girlfriend! I’m in fucking love with someone who is already taken! Someone who is pregnant with my best friend’s baby!” He crumpled onto the cold sidewalk, his body shaking as sobs overtook his body. 

Guilt automatically washed over me. I shouldn’t have been so harsh with him. He was delicate. I always forgot that.

“I’m sorry, mate.” I whispered and slid down next to him. 

“You have nothing to be sorry for. You have the perfect life, and I’m messing it all up for you. I’m sorry. I should be happy for both of you, but all I feel is jealousy. And I hate it. I hate it so much. I wish I could move on. I wish Claire and I could be best friends like we used to be. I wish everything was back to the way things used to be. When everything made sense.” He took a deep breath, getting all of his feelings out. 

“I wish I knew you had this strong of feelings for Claire before I started dating her.” I said quietly, feeling a cold breeze nipping at my cheeks. 

“Don’t say that. You two are perfect together. You’re meant to be. I’m glad you started dating her. Even if it did make me turn into a complete dick who treated both of you like complete and utter shit.” He looked over at me and smiled slightly. “Really, Josh. You and her are perfect together. Way perfect than I would ever be with her.” 

My heart did a flip as he said that. “Thanks man. That means a lot. It really does.” I started to stand up, shivering because of the cold wind.

Niall stood up too, looking at me worriedly. 

“How did everyone else react to me leaving like that?”  He asked and starting biting his thumbnail.

“They were all startled and shocked. We all didn’t know what was going on.” 

“I’m so embarrassed that I did that. I don’t think I’ll be able to go back in there again tonight. Not with everyone else there.” He paused for a moment. “Can I come back tomorrow so I can properly apologize to Claire?” 

“Of course you can. You can come over whenever you want. You don’t even need to ask.” I smiled.

“Thanks, Josh. What would I do without ya?” Niall pulled me into his arms for a not so manly bro hug. 

“I’m gonna go for a cup of coffee or something, so I’ll talk to ya later. Tell everyone I’m sorry.” He said and started to walk off the other direction, en route of a little coffee shop that he always went to. 

I watched him until he rounded a corner and was out of sight. Then I turned and headed back for the flat.

When I got back inside, everyone was gone. Only Claire was left, washing the dishes.