Chapter 11

(Claire’s POV)

The next morning I wake up to the sound of my phone buzzing around on the nightstand like a bumblebee. The caller ID reads “Niall”. I debate on whether I should answer it or not. I decide to let it go to voicemail. It’s too early in the morning for me to deal with him.

When Josh came back from the talk last night he seemed happy. I was expecting him to be in a crappy mood. He didn’t tell me much about what happened, but he did inform me that he was no longer angry with Niall. When I asked why, he just said that everyone deserve second chances.

I lay back down in Josh’s arms and close my eyes. I try to fall back asleep, but I have too much on my mind. I get out of bed and go into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

My phone buzzes to life again after I get dressed, breaking the dead silence. I grab it, noticing that it was Niall yet again. “What is it, Niall?” I ask as step out of the room. “Can we meet somewhere? We need to talk.” He says.

I let out a loud sigh. “Where?” I might as well face him today. “Do you know how to get to the roof? I’ve been coming up here the last couple days. It’s a great place to think.” He explains to me how to get to the roof. “I see the door right now.” I say and twist the door knob. “I’ll be up in a sec.” I hang up and start to climb the metal staircase, feeling the cold air from the cement walls lingering in the air.

At the top is another door. I feel the warm rays of Florida sunshine hit my face as I set onto the roof. Niall’s face lights up when I walk over towards him. He stands up and gives me an awkward look. “Listen… I’m sorry…” He whispers. “I am too. I can’t believe it got this out of hand.” I say and then feel his arms around me. A Horan hug was just what I needed. “Those things I said to you were absolutely atrocious. I can see why you’d never want to forgive me.” He takes a seat after he releases me from his embrace. I sit next to him, staring intently at the ground. “You were angry. I totally understand, but I forgive you. Niall, you’re my best friend. I can’t live without you.” A smile spreads across his face as I talk. It was nice to have things somewhat back to normal.

His face gradually gets closer to mine, but I hardly notice. When had his eyes gotten so blue? And when had his hair gotten so blond? I had the sudden urge to run my fingers through the tousled strands.

“Claire…” He whispers. His nose rubs against mine, sending a thrill through my body. Before I can stop him, Niall’s soft lips are on mine. Surprisingly, I don’t pull away. His hands caress my face as he kisses me harder, with more passion.

When he finally pulled back, he smiles. I return his smile, but that slowly fades when I realize what just happened. “Oh my god! What have I done?! What about Josh?! He’s going to hate me!” I stand up abruptly and start walking away.

“I love you, Claire.” He blurts out. Startled, I whip around. “W-what?” I stutter. “I love you. I always have.” He takes a step toward me. “Niall…” I shake my head, letting tears fall from my eyes. “Please don’t do this to me…” I say. “Josh just asked me to move in with him.” I explain, hoping he’d understand. “I just wanted to let you know how I feel. I couldn’t keep it to myself any longer. I had to tell you.” He comes closer to me, but I realize that with every step he takes, I’m taking one backwards.

“I’m sorry…” I mumble and whip around, running towards the door. I blindly run down the steps and out into the deserted hallway. I was glad everyone else was still asleep. Before going back to the room, I take a couple deep breaths and wipe away any loose tears.

When I walk into the room, I notice Josh is in the same position as he was when I left. I curl up next to him and rest my head on his chest, feeling it move up and down with every breath he takes. “I’m sorry, Josh… I’d never hurt you on purpose.” I say quietly. I knew he couldn’t hear me, but it still made me feel better. I look at his precious face, feeling a pang of guilt. I plant a kiss on his cheek and tell myself that I wouldn’t tell him what happened. Things just got back to normal, I wasn’t going to ruin that.