699.6 (Part 1)

Finally, Naruto saw Konoha's gate before him. Already running with great speed between branches and the foliage for several kilometers, the desire to speed up took control of his body. But Sakura and Saï were still behind him, their limbs numb from fatigue.

He understood. He too would've been tired if his head weren't full of worried thoughts and his heart weren't painful. Hopefully, his magical cure was behind the village's walls. He tightened his fist around the piece of scarf in his trousers' pocket.

Any time soon I'll be with her. I'll be able to hug her tight in my arms. Despite his determination, his lungs were crying for oxygen and made him pause. Still lost in his thoughts, he jumped when Sai tapped his shoulder.

"Well, you finally waited for us ?" he complained.

Before his out-of-breath teammates, Naurto grimaced and scratched the back of his head, fully aware of his impulsive behaviour. He apologised to Sakura who, with her hands on her hips, took a deep breath.

She waved at him. "It's ok. I'm eager to go home too. I really need a shower after this endless mission."

*****

On their way to the Hokage's office, the three members of team Kakashi met a small group of shinobi, mainly genin, who had heard from the gatekeepers' mouths that Konoha's hero wass back in the village.

Not really knowing how to react, Naruto just greeted them politely with an embarrassed smile which made Saï laugh while Sakura rolled her eyes.

However, the hero's smile didn't seem to be enough because the group kept following them while asking questions about their mission. They wanted to hear about Naruto's new exploits. The poor blonde shinobi was pulled and pushed in every direction.

"You know, as long as we don't have the Hokage's autorisation, a mission report is very confidential." Naruto explained with a soft voice to calm them down.

"But, Naruto-senpai-" a young shinobi spoke.

"Listen to me, kids." Sakura cut in, "We'd like to go reporte to the Hokage in order to rest afterward. It was a very long mission-"

"We aren't talking to you obaa-san, but to Naruto-senpai" the young shinobi said.

At that moment, Naruto saw Sakura's look turning into a scowl. He then just had time to grab her arm to hold her back.

"But who do you think you are?!" Sakura screamed. "First, I'm not old enough to be called 'obaa-san'! Second, all we want it's for you to leave us alone. Is that too much to ask?"

"It looks like you don't do well with kids" Saï added while watching the young ninjas screaming and running away from them.

"Sai ! Are you doing this on purpose?" asked Naruto who now had more and more trouble maintaining Sakura.

"Naruto! Sakura! Sai! The Hokage is waiting for you."

Frozen in their position, the three teammates turned towards the voice that just spoke and saw Captain Yamato, standing upright. Behind him stood Izumo and Kotetsu, arms crossed, who looked at them while trying not to laugh.

*****

Now upstairs, Hinata found herself before the now well familiar door, a cold key in her hand. Putting aside her doubts, she took a deep breath, then opened the door before penetrating into the dark, small flat.

*****

"So, that mission in the Land of Whirlpools ?" Kakashi asked, sitting behind his desk with his eyes on his former students.

"We did find the children in the ruins of the village. One of them was hurt. So, they went into a bunker for safety with food and water and they waited for someone to come and help them." Sakura explained. "When we arrived, I healed the injured one, then I brought them to their mother."

"And what about the second mission." the Rokudaime asks while looking at Naruto.

"About this mission..." Sakura spoke.

"There's no one." Naruto said with a neutral expression on his face. "The kids were hiding in one of Uzushio's bunkers, but we just found corpses... No survivors."

No other Uzumaki, he added for himself.

"Mmh. I guess now we are sure. We can say that the rumors about ghosts in the village weren't true." Kakashi concluded. "Izumo and Kotetsu, I want the mother's opinion about her children's condition. Yamato, I want you to write to the Mizukage about the second mission. You're all dismist."

Naruto, Sai and Sakura get out of the office, exhausted. They split downstairs while waving hands and wishing good night. Sai walked toward Ino's house while Sakura, worried about Naruto, decided to stay with him.

"Come on, let's go." she said when she took his arm.

"Don't tell me you're worried about me, Sakura-chan." Naruto chuckled. "Go home, your parents are waiting for ya. I'm going to find those poor children you scared."

Not letting her the time to answer, he disappeared. He didn't want to see her sad eyes. Did she pity him again? Naruto didn't want to know.

Pictures of the corpses they found remain carved in his mind.

There I am, even more alone than before, he thought.

All these men and women, dead because of wars, could've been an Uzuamki, but he'll never be sure about it. Given they were in Uzuhio, they could've been a close or distant relative Uzumaki. He didn't care about the degree. Naruto would've accepted them as family, but now there was nothing to look forward to.

Without paying attention, his feet took him to his flat. Standing before the door, no sound came to his ear even though the neighbourhood was quiet. I'm alone.

Feeling completely down, Naruto drove his hand in his pocket, looking for his keys. But instead, we felt the soft piece of the red scarf. He took it out of his pocket and looked at it. At this moment, all the loneliness in his heart left and a warm strange feeling took the place.

Hinata. I have to go looking for her. With new determination, he took his keys out of his pocket and opened the door of his small, empty flat.

Naruto just had the time to notice that the kitchen light was on before she jumped on him, wrapping her arms around his neck.

A cooking spoon in hand, an apron protecting her clothes and her hair escaping her low ponytail, her delicious perfume rushed to his nose.

Ah, he missed everything about her.

"Naruto-kun, welcome home." she said against his neck.