Chapter 1: {Annabelle's POV}

Thank you so much first of all to those who have read this story or are just starting. Make sure to read Book 1 FIRST though so you're not lost. 

*****

     "Hurry up, and keep quiet." I scolded my brother, Jonathan,  as we hurried down the corridors of the palace. 

     In his hands he carried yellow tulips we'd picked from Aunt Jane's garden for our mother, whom we hadn't seen in days. 

     "She's asleep now." Our father would say. "She's resting." He'd add, shooing us from their chambers every midday for the last week. 

     We were worried, unsure of what to make of our mother's absence, and now all we could do was hope for the best.

     We walked from the gardens and through the many winding corridors as the sun was setting over the horizon, casting a soft glow through the open corridors that ran along the side of the Asgardian palace, shining off the set of armor that myself and Jonathan wore. As we grew older, and our taste in armor style grew, my own armor was very similar to that of which Sif wore and Jonathan's being close to what Alvis, our cousin, and our father, Loki, wore. 

     The shining armor bouncing light off the walls seemed to indicate a problem for us for as we approached the corner to turn to the doors to our mother's bedchambers, we ran into the exact people we did not wish to see. Guards. Here to stop anyone from getting into the room.  

     "We wish to pass." Jonathan remarked as we approached, his shoulders straightening as he stood tall, nearly as tall as our father. 

     The guards held up their staves and blocked our path. "Nobody is permitted to pass upon request of the King." The man's deep voice echoed off the corridor walls. The King was in fact the Half-King, our father sharing the throne with his brother and our uncle, Thor. 

      "Well that may be of inconvenience to my sister and I. I do order, however, as son of Loki and future Half-King that you allow us to pass."

     The guard's eyes went wide behind his armored helmet. I instantly was hit with a feeling of worry. It was something I shared with my mother... a mother-daughter instinct. Was she in danger?

     With a small sigh escaping my lips and a bit of a self-push I moved past Johnny and took both guards by the armor on their chests, pushing them up against the wall with a strength I sometimes forgot that I had. "Now listen, please. I will not hurt you, if you listen to me. I know something is wrong inside that there room-" I made a gesture to the bed chamber before us. "-and if I am unable to go inside I will do things I will not regret."

     I felt the anger boil within' me when they would not move but simply pushed me off. It only took a few moments to collect myself and my thoughts. I needed to see my mother. Now.

     I ran a hand through my brushed back hair before swiftly bringing my clinched fist to make contact with the tallest guard's jaw, deforming the metal of his helmet as he fell unconscious to the ground. He had tried to move but my own miscalculation brought my fist to kiss the metal as he moved. The opposite guard brought up his scepter in defense but I moved swiftly and kneed him in the torso before throwing him to the floor where he then lay groaning.

      Jonathan looked to me then to the guards on the floor after the . His mouth nearly dropped and I shook my head, taking the flowers.

     "I warned them... hide those two while I go in and check on mother. I'll meet you in the throne room in say thirty minutes?" I made an iffy hand signal. 

     "I can do so after, but I wish to see mother as well." Jonathan protested. Instead of arguing I just nodded and looked back to the doors before us.

     Slowly, I placed my hand on one of the handles to the thick golden doors and pushed forward, the cold material sending a chill through me. My eyes quickly adjusted to the dimly lit room where we were met with a figure leaning over the large four-poster bed from a chair situated next to it. I heard soft whispers and walked closer.

     "F-father?" I muttered as I could now see the tall figure near a candle light beside the bed. It was him.

      "Mother?" Jonathan whispered behind me.

     The form stiffened before leaning closer to whomever was in the bed. Our father suddenly pulled back and stood. 

     "Annabelle. Jonathan. What are you two doing in here?" Our father's voice was calm when he spoke, but there was a hint of worry and surprise.

     "We came to see mom... we had a fee-"

     "A feeling, am I correct?" 

     I nodded in response as he finished my sentence for me. He sighed and suddenly the room became brighter and we were able to see him standing in a black evening robe. His tall and slim figure made him seem tired in a way. Then I saw tears shining on his cheeks from the gleam the light caused once reflecting from the wet paths.

     I had never seen my father look so broken...

     "Dad what's wrong?" I walked forward slightly, Jonathan staying at the door, and before he could reply, the cough from the bed caused me drop the tulips from my grasp. 

     It felt like everything slowed.

     I felt my heart stop at that very moment when my eyes met his. "No..." I almost choked.

     Loki could only nod as he looked to the bed then back to me. "She doesn't have much time Annabelle..." He looked pained by his words. I forgot everything and rushed to the side of the bed where he was leaning over her only a few minutes ago. I bit my lip hard and looked to my mother's sleeping form as she continued to cough up a storm. She looked healthy, really she did. She was just growing paler...

     I knelt down at the side of the bed and took her freezing cold hand into my own. "No... Odin please... Mom..." I hiccuped as I tried hard not to cry. This couldn't be happening.

     "Annabelle... Jonathan..." My mother's faint voice whispered back to me as her head slowly turned my direction and her eyes fluttered open. Her eyes had lost their natural glow I could see as she looked from me then over my shoulder to an approaching Jonathan.

     "Momma please..." The tears began to find their way down my cheeks as I heard Loki's heavy breathing behind us. I looked back to Jonathan and saw the struggle he was having to hold himself together.

     "Annabelle... I'm so... so sorry I hadn't told you and your brother sooner. I... I'm so sorry." She coughed as she finished the sentence and gave my hand a firm squeeze.

      "Momma.. please don't be sorry... you did nothing wrong."

     "Shh... sweetie. Take this will... will you please?" I felt her hand let go of mine and I then was holding a small necklace. I didn't interrupt her as she slowly continued. "It was something I had been given before you were born. It was for you but I wanted to save it for something special..." My mother's voice became softer and harder to understand. "Promise me that you will stay with Jonathan and you two will stick together?"

     "Y-yes mom..." The warm tears that ran down my cheeks began to sting when she smiled weakly and closed her eyes.

     "That necklace is very special. Make me proud sweetie... I'll always be with you, and I love you very much Jonathan. I love you so much Annabelle..." I felt my heart shatter as she drawled on the last part of my name.

     My world felt like hell froze and heaven had been set ablaze.

     "Makall..." I heard my father whisper sadly, heartbrokenly. I got up and held a firm grip on the necklace. 

     I let go of her lifeless hand and looked back to my father. 

     For the first time in my life, I saw him a broken man. 

     I then looked to Jonathan. 

     I saw a man full of anger and pain and I watched as he stormed out of the room.