Chapter Fourteen.

Chapter Fourteen.

After spending the rest of Sunday and most of the night with Matt, trying to keep his mind on other things, we finally head back over to his house. I mean, after what happened at church, I don't think anything could top that, no conversation can out do what I heard today.

School tomorrow is sure to be crazy, because if everybody hasn't heard about Hardy, I'm sure that they know now. Priest Stabbor has made sure of that.

The first thing I hear Mrs. Fletcher say when Matt and I walk through the door is, "The poor Jennings family. I can't even begin to imagine what Hardy's parents are feeling."

I walk into the living room, Matt behind me and see Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher sitting on the sofa, with Noah sitting on the love seat.

"Why? They're not gay," I hear Noah mumble while rolling his eyes.

That's true. Sure, the Jennings may be in a bit of shock, but doing what they did today, isn't going to make the situation better, is it? It's like they're saying, 'if you're gay, you get no say'. Hardy is the one that's going through hell right now.

"Matthew, just the son I wanted to see," Mrs. Fletcher chimes, standing up. "Would you join us upstairs for a moment?"

Matt gives me an uncertain look, but nods and follows Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher upstairs, leaving me with Noah. Ugh, why am I always left with him? I walk past the open seat next to Noah and plop on the large sofa.

"So, today was...interesting," Noah starts.

"No, today was wrong," I correct. "I know that you're anti-gay, but you have to admit that it was wrong."

"Whoa, hold on a second, who said I'm anti-gay?" Noah asks.

I shrug. "You called your brother a 'fudge-packing flamer', isn't it pretty clear? I mean, if he knew that you knew about it and you were calling—"

"Look, Matt's my brother," Noah states. "I'm allowed to call him that, so don't think that if somebody else said it, that I wouldn't beat the shit out of them, because I would. I could care less if he was gay or not. Fuck, it's his life. He's cool with me and I'm—," Noah stops himself from finishing.

"You're what...? Cat food? A moron?" I joke, throwing random things out there.

Noah chuckles. "No, smartass, I'm just...not like him."

"You mean not gay," I say for him.

"No, I'm not gay, but that's not what I mean."

"Then what do you mean?" I pry.

He shakes his head, dismissing the subject. "Nothing. Never mind."

I roll my eyes. "You're so...secretive. What could you possibly have to hide?"

He doesn't get to answer because Matt and his parents walk back in the room. Matt looks upset, but I'm pretty sure it's not a good time to ask him why, so I just sit here and keep my mouth shut, while he sits next to me.

"Well, we have to go, our flight's going to leave without us," Mr. Fletcher says.

I didn't know that Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher are leaving. Oh well, both Noah and Matt are in a better mood when they're gone. I guess I can relate to them on that, I don't like my parents around either. They're...I don't even know how to describe my parents sometimes.

"We might be gone a little longer than last time, but we'll be sure to call," Mrs. Fletcher tells us, well, more like tells Matt and I because she doesn't show and attention towards Noah.