Chapter One.

Read this at your own risk, I'm currently editing and rewriting a few things. I wrote this in during my freshman and sophomore year of high school, I feel like I've come a long way since then from all of my followers support. I will post all of the new, revamped chapters once I completely finish the book.

Chapter One.

Matthew Fletcher. He's probably the only guy on the planet that has never showed even the slightest bit of interest in me. Well, in any way that's more than a friend. Matt and I have been best friends ever since we could talk. Our families are pretty close and entirely too much alike. We both come from the upper East side of Manhattan, New York, our fathers own this big corporation together, and our mothers spend money all day. Both of our parents go out of town a lot, leaving me, Matt, and his older brother Noah alone for weeks at a time. I normally stay over at their house when our parents are gone, just because it's convenient and saves me from being bored all the time.

Matt is the type of guy that's good at everything, perfect even. He gets amazing grades, could have any girl he wanted, all at the drop of a hat. When Matt talks, people listen, even if was talking about the stupidest thing in the world, people would still be interested, just because he gives off that inviting personality. And I already know that it sounds totally cliché that I'm desperately in love with him. I also already know that he doesn't like me that way. He's never told me that, mainly because I've never had the guts to tell him that I like him, but I still know.

I don't mean to sound conceited or vain, but guys have always liked me. Guys that I could care less about. I've always been that way though, liking what I can't have. I'd rather be with a guy who didn't want me than one who was madly in love with me.

It started in the sixth grade, with my first boyfriend Jack Bates, he was a jerk to me, but yet, I completely loved him. It's weird, I just stuck around with him when he treated me like I meant nothing to him.

"Emily, your father and I are leaving, are you staying over at the Fletcher's?" my mom asks me and I can hear her voice coming closer to my room. I quickly start throwing some clothes into a baby blue duffle bag.

Oh great. "Yeah, mom, I'm getting stuff together right now," I tell her, hoping that if I answer now, we can avoid confrontation. Too late.

"We'll see you in a couple of days, alright?" she says, standing in my doorway.

"Alright," I say, grabbing my cell phone and charger incase it dies while I'm there, I really don't want to have to come back for anything. Not like it's that far away, we live in the same huge loft complex. There are stairs and it's completely too quiet when nobody's home, it gets really creepy at night just because it's lonely. I compare it to being in a huge park, in the dark, alone, as depressing as that may sound.

"Call us if you need anything, honey," my mom says and then finally leaves.

I make a sigh of relief when I hear her heals clack down the hall. It's not that I don't love my mom, I do, I just don't like her. We're extremely different. I'm a completely different person when I'm at home. I'm the free spirited teenager, but when I'm at school, I have a reputation to protect. I have to dress to impress, as my mom says, what ever I do, reflects on her and my dad as parents. Which is the main reason why I can't do anything to hurt the Aldridge family name, it's ridiculous.

After I'm done, I change into a pair of faded blue jeans and a navy blue long sleeve shirt that hugs my flat stomach, showing my curves. I used to take like an hour to prep before going over to see Matt, but I think that ship has pretty much sailed. If he's not going to show interest, then why should I waste my time to get him to notice?