One of These Things Just Doesn't Belong

Prism sat alone in her room, trying to figure out what the hell was going on inside her own head.

There was still the mysterious noise of someone chanting evil, evil, evil. But that voice was growing softer and softer every day.

Then there was her own voice. Her thoughts, that was what she trusted. But everything she thought about seemed foggy now, like someone was messing with her in a way she definitely didn't like.

And then there was the other noise. It was like a fog, creeping through her mind and slowly silencing everyone else. It wasn't saying much, but for some reason, Prism thought it was familiar, even if she couldn't place why.

But as she focused on this third voice, trying to figure it out, the chanting of evil, evil evil abruptly stopped. 

And the fog took over even more, until Prism wasn't sure if her thoughts were even her own.

There was a knock at the door, and Prism shot up, trying to look casual as her father poked his head in.

"Hey," Ember smiled. "Pear and Apple are hosting a painting night on the platforms later. Would you want to go?" Ember thought he already knew the answer. Prism took after her parents. She loved art. He remembered when she was small and would just sit and watch him and Apple paint, completely in awe. 

Prism did like art. She loved painting. She opened her mouth to respond, but the 'Yes' she wanted to say was not what came out.

"No thanks," She offered, her voice colder. "I don't think I really like painting anymore." Ember raised an eyebrow, confused.

"Okaaay," He said, frowning and walking away. Prism tried not to panic as he left. Why had she said that? She didn't mean that. Her thoughts felt clouded enough, but if her words started going too, what was she supposed to do?

What was happening?

****

"Is she coming?" Apple asked, as Ember walked back into the room, still frowning.

"No," He offered. "She said she doesn't like painting anymore." Apple blinked.

"....Was she joking?"

"I don't think so."

"PRISM said that."

"Yeah." Apple had a very confused expression. That definitely wasn't the Prism she knew. 

"She has been acting a little weird lately," Apple admitted. It was true, but it was so small changes that they had barely noticed. Saying no to things she normally would've jumped at, and suggesting activities that were the exact opposite of what Prism normally liked to do. It was weird.

"Is this a thing kids do?" Ember asked. "Cause I don't remember doing this."

"Maybe we should take her to a healer," Apple said. "Just in case something's wrong,"

"I don't think so. I mean, she seems find physically."

"What about Ander? She's usually good at reading dragons."

"Worth a shot."

"NO." Prism's voice suddenly declared, and they turned to stare at her. "I don't want to see Ander." Ember and Apple exchanged a glance.

Something was definitely wrong with Prism.