Little Talks

One of the Dragonets of Destiny's rules was broken the second the group left the meeting.

Specifically, it was the no fighting rule. Shortly followed by the no beating students with any object rule, the no threatening rule, and the no breaking anything rule. 

For Prism and Wren got into a fight, and for a tiny dragonet, Prism was strong.

"OW!" Wren yelped, as Prism ripped one of the D.O.D.'s motivational banners down from the wall and slapped Wren with it. "Prism, what the he-"

"WHAT exactly, do you have against Cyan?" She demanded, hitting him with the banner. "He's perfectly nice!"

"I don't trust him." Wren explained. "He looks at you weird, and he asks too many questions about the Royal family."

"He's a curious dragon!" Prism objected, going to hit him again, but Wren snatched the banner and threw it away. The rest of their friends didn't bother to intervene. Fights were a common occurrence in the Rainforest Royal Family. One simply had to wait until one dragon left, and the other needed to be dragged to the nearest infirmary. 

"There's such a thing as too curious," Wren shot back. Prism's face flushed red.

"And for your information, you stupid insect," She proclaimed. "I like the way Cyan looks at me."

"What, like you're a lump of clay he can mold and do whatever he wants with?"

"Oh, like your boyfriend is any better!" Wren gaped at his cousin.

"What does RAVEN have to do with ANY of this?!"

"He's Macaw's son, for crying out loud! Son of our family's only living mortal enemies! And yet no one's suspicious about him! It's CYAN, the dragon who's parents you don't even know, and who has done nothing wrong!"

"Yet," Wren muttered. "And Raven is NOTHING like his parents. He is kind, and decent, and-"

"And who says Cyan isn't all of those things too?" Prism declared. "You're the one who taught me not to judge dragons before you really get to know them, Wren, and yet that's exactly what you've done to Cyan."

"It's not about judging him, Prism." Wren insisted. "There's just something off about him, and my gut tells me he can't be trusted. You're just too young and naive to see that." Prism glared at him.

"Oh, you'll pay for that one." She growled, picking up the banner and lunging at Wren.

*****

As Wren's initial scream echoed through the halls of JMA, Pax was on his way away from the rest of the school, hoping to find somewhere quiet and empty where he could be angry at the world for a while.

But, naturally, the stars wouldn't even grant him that small solace. 

"Hey," Mora offered, smiling softly at him. Pax sighed. 

"Hi Mora," He replied half-heartedly. He knew it would be rude to tell her off, but he just honestly wanted to be alone. Mora of all dragons would never understand- heck, nobody understood.

"So," she began. "Are we gonna talk about how your sister was completely insensitive and cruel earlier or are you ignoring that?" Pax paused. 

"What do you mean?" Mora rolled her eyes.

"Come on, Pax, I saw you flinch when Aria said she'd been teaching Russet some other language. I know that hurts you; I don't know why, so I figured I'd try the whole 'let's scream about how rude Aria is' tactic and hopefully you'd tell me somewhere along the line."

"....That is the dumbest tactic I've ever heard. Aria is perfectly polite."

"Yeah, but that doesn't stop her from hurting you without realizing it, does it?" Pax glanced at the floor.

"Mora, I could stand here and blab about my problems all day, but that doesn't mean you'd understand any of them."

"I could try." She suggested. "Or I could just listen." Pax studied her. 

"Not a word of this to anyone, you understand? Dragons here make too big a deal out of everything." 

"Understood." Mora nodded. Pax sighed.

"It's just.... Aria doesn't understand what it's like to be me. No one does." He explained. "It's the stupid stars. My parents and Aria can talk to them, and everybody else can't. I can't talk to them. I can't even hear them, but supposedly I could understand them if they did ever talk to me. But they have all these different languages, and Mother and Dad like to talk in them, and Aria talks back in those languages, but it's hard for me to do that. I had to learn all those languages; I wasn't randomly born with the ability to know them. And I guess I've always been proud of myself, that I was able to learn a way to communicate with the Stars and my family, but when Aria goes around and just randomly teaches dragons the Star's language...."

"It's not as special anymore." Mora concluded.

"Exactly. And the stars are very selective, you know? Not everyone gets to hear or speak to them, so it almost feels like, by teaching Russet, Aria is not just betraying me, but she's betraying the gift the stars gave her."

"A gift you wish you had." Pax paused.

"I don't know about that." He sighed. "I mean, I'd love to be able to have that ability, to share it with Aria and my parents, but I also know what it does to dragons. The things you see and hear... Sometimes it's awful. Some prophets have gone insane from the things they've been told. Others hear about horrible events that will happen in the future, and they just have to accept the fact that there's nothing they can do to change it. It can be nice, yes, to see the world the way the stars do, but it comes at such a cost sometimes."

"Well, I think the stars were stupid not to give you any sort of power," Mora insisted. "Because I know you'd do well with it, and you wouldn't abuse or betray what you were given. But at the same time, I'm glad you can;t talk to the stars."

"Why?" Pax raised an eyebrow. Mora smiled and nudged him.

"Because you wouldn't be the same dragon you are right now, and I kinda like you as you are." Pax grinned.

"You're weird, Mora."

"Says the dragon who just complained because the stars weren't talking to him."