Mother Knows Best

You got this, Rin told herself as she stepped inside. This is just to get you prepared enough to tell Parrot. It's just Mother, after all. What's the worst that could happen?

She could rip me apart limb for limb with her bare claws, Rin answered herself.  

But she WON'T.

Says you.

Oh no, I KNOW she's gonna kill you. Permafrost is the one who disagreed.

Why am I talking to my brain? 

Because sometimes you need an expert's opinion.

...Shut up me.

Shaking off that weird argument, Rin stepped inside her mother's office, where Joy was half buried under various scrolls and papers. But the princess still looked up and paused at the sight of her daughter. 

"Hey Rin," she greeted her with a smile. "What's up?" Rin wrung her talons.

"I have to tell you something." she admitted. Joy set down her pen.

"I'm listening."

"...I'm just..I'm not really sure how to tell you." 

"Rin, you can tell me anything, you know that."

"And you won't kill me?" Joy hesitated.

"Well....That depends."

"Then I'm totally dead."

"Did you kill someone I liked?"

"No."

"Did you kiss anyone even remotely related to Macaw or Faithbringer?"

"Ew, no."

"Did you cheat on Parrot?"

"....Not exactly?"

"Are you a spy giving our tribe's secrets over to anyone?"

"No!"

"Well, then, I think you'll survive anything else you could possibly have to tell me." Joy assured her. "Oh! Unless you somehow resurrected Morrowseer or Scarlet from the dead- or let Pineapple out of prison. Cause if that's the case, I will have to kill you."

"I think that's more of a concern with Ander then me."

"True. So, what is it? What's burning a hole in you?" Rin wasn't sure why, but she almost felt more relaxed, more capable of telling the news now that she knew Joy probably wasn't going to kill her.

"Parrot kinda...." She trailed off, but Joy's expression didn't change. "He got me pregnant."

A silence settled over the room as Joy leaned back in her chair, thinking. Rin fought the urge to squirm as her mother stared at her.

"Does he know yet?"

"Not yet. Permafrost thought it would be a good idea to tell you first, then him." 

"So Permafrost, a dragon who's gossip abilites rival the entire Rainwing tribe put together, has been intrusted with this before Parrot or myself?"

"Well, yes."

"WHY?"

"Because I found out and I got really scared- I'm still really scared- and I didn't know how you or Parrot would react and Shore and Kelp would've murdered someone, Ander would've just been cryptic and vague, and Apple would've screamed the news from a roof somewhere until all of Pyrrhia knew. So my next option was instantly Permafrost." Joy stood up, crossing the room.

"Rin, you don't have to be scared about this." She insisted. "There's nothing to be afraid of."

"Like hell there isn't! What if Parrot wants nothing to do with it, and he runs off? What if you kick me out? What if something goes wrong and I don't know because I've never done this before? What if-"

"None of those things are going to happen." Joy assured her. "You're going to be fine. And Parrot is going to be thrilled!....Eventually. But if tries to run out, there's a whole squad of dragons waiting to drag him right back and you know it." Rin searched her mother's calm face.

"You're really not mad?"

"Why would I be mad?" She questioned. "I mean, sure, this isn't how I expected your life to go, but I'm sure that's the same for you, and besides, this means I'm going to be a grandmother!" Joy stopped, a horrified look crossing over her face. "I'm gonna be a GRANDmother. Three moons, I'm old." Rin stifled a laugh. 

"No you're not."

"Sure, let's see if you feel old when YOU become a grandmother. Should only take, what, ten years?"

"Mother!"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding." Joy grinned. "Now go tell Parrot."

"What about Dad and Shore?" Joy paused.

"Shore is up to you, but let me handle Kelp."

"He's not gonna take it as well as you, is he?"

"Probably not, but he'll come around quickly. It's Rainkeeper and my father I'd be worried about."

"Oh dear moons."

"Yeah." Joy grimaced. "I'd keep a close eye on Parrot for a while if I was you."