Chapter 26

Mercy's POV

I woke up to the sound of floorboards creaking downstairs. I grabbed my bow and arrows, then quietly tip-toed out of my room and down the stairs. Once I got downstairs, I didn't see anyone there. I shrugged and went back towards the stairs, but I heard it again. I immediately froze and listened. It came back, but there still wasn't anyone here. It sounded like it was coming from under the house. I stood still for another moment, before everything started to shake.

Astrid's POV

I woke up abruptly when I felt the house shake. I noticed Hiccup bolt up right after I was up.

"What in Thor's name was that?" I said once the shaking ceased.

"I have no clue. Where's Mercy?"

"I don't know she should be in her room." I said. He darted straight out of bed and across the hall.

"She's not in there. Mercy! Where are you?" He shouted.

"Downstairs! You guys felt the shaking too right?" I heard a quiet response. I got out of bed and ran downstairs after Hiccup. Once I got downstairs, there was nothing there but a big hole in the floor. "Down here!" I ran over and peered over the edge of the hole. I saw Mercy standing at the bottom in the middle of the hole.

"Hiccup this is familiar." I said.

"Too familiar. Go get the gang and bring them here." He said. I ran upstairs, got changed, and flew to Allysa's house first. I knocked on the door to see her dressed.

"Oh Astrid I'm glad you're here there was shaking all over the island everyone's gone mad!" She said.

"We felt it too now we need the gang at my house now."

"Okay why?"

"Hiccup told me too. You go get Snotlout and Fishlegs, I got the twins." I said and flew to the twins house. I banged on the door and a tired looking Ruffnut opened the door.

"Ruff, Tuff, we need you guys at my house right now." They stared at me blankly. "Just get to my house." I said and flew off, followed by the twins. Once we got home I saw Hiccup tying ropes together.

"Woah what happened here?" Allysa asked.

"We got hit by the shaking pretty hard." I replied.

"Guys this is awfully familiar." Fishlegs said. He started going into his weird thinking stage, until he suddenly snapped out of it. "Hiccup that wasn't normal shaking."

"Whatever it was it almost killed my daughter." He said.

"Oh no I'm fine! Just a few bruises no big deal!" I heard her shout from the bottom of the hole. "Oh and cut on my leg."

"Hiccup, the shaking was caused by a Whispering Death mining under the village." Fishlegs pointed out.

"I thought we got rid of those?" I said.

"They must be looking for food." Hiccup said as he lowered the rope into the hole.

"Why would they need to? Don't they have thier own island?" I asked.

"Well it could be because of the weather change. Usually fish and things migrate around the oceans during different seasons. They could be waiting for the fish to return." Fishlegs said.

"Do whispering deaths eat fish?" Allysa asked.

"Usually they eat what they get from under villages like chickens. But if they aren't under a village they won't have those kinds of things, so they would have to go with the fish from the sea." Hiccup said as he began to pull the rope up.