A Dangerous Wager

It was getting late at the Tavern. Derrick could see some new men had come in recently. They were dressed in heavy black overcoats. It would be nice to meet some new people, play poker with someone different for a change. He searched his pockets for gold. Drat! What little he had brought with him had almost been used up in drink by now. He wouldn’t be able to participate in their games. He would have to head home and face his wife again. Lizzie had grown tired of his constant crying spells, and his late night cries for Suzanne. She hardly woke anymore to sooth him back to sleep. He was not keen to see the weary look on her face, when she realized her husband was home. It seemed she would be much better off without him.

And now that her initial concern for him had worn off, Scarlett was angry at him again for selling Nathan. She screamed at him, and had even pummeled his back once, demanding “Why?!!!”. He had even let her do it for over a minute, before he turned around and grabbed her wrist, twisting her arm back towards her body. That had stopped the assault, but she had demanded afterwards that he leave, and he had not been back since.

Don’t worry, Derrick. I’m sure they will be glad to include you. The strange voice reassured him. He went to the table to talk with the men. He introduced himself as Henri LaPoint, his father. Everyone knew of his father’s reputation. They would trust what he said now, and include him in their games.

The men were wary at first, but when he began telling them about Rose Hedge and Pinehurst, they seemed impressed. He was the Owner of two plantations, not just one! They began to warm to him, and agreed to deal him in.

“What do you have to play with?” One of the men asked.

“I left my purse at home, gentleman. But I’ve got plenty to back me up, if I lose.”

Derrick was surprised when each of them took out 50 gold coins, worth at least 40 dollars apiece. That was a shockingly large starting bet for the first round, but Derrick wasn’t going to stop now.

Get up Derrick, and go home. Lizzie is waiting for you.

This was a different voice. It sounded strangely like Michael, didn’t it? He had thought Lizzie was the only one to hear his voice.

Seriously, Derrick. Your wife needs you. She’s ready for you to come home now. These men are dangerous.

What did that damn nigger know? Hearing from Michael only made him angry that he was still around! And he probably did seize the opportunity to talk to Lizzie whenever Derrick wasn’t around! Thank God he couldn’t do other things! That gave Derrick a cruel sense of satisfaction. It was he who made love to Lizzie now! Even if Michael was the one she loved, he couldn’t give her that. He couldn’t make her moan in bed like some wanton whore. Derrick wasn’t going to start complaining about it anytime soon, of course. He would never tell her to her face that she could give any prostitute a run for their money.

Fine suit yourself. I’m just a damn nigger like I always was. Play with these men, see how happy Lizzie is with you then.

Derrick was about to change his mind. He remembered the rope swing then. How much he had wished that Michael was there to help him carry Lizzie back. Michael would have tested the swing first, before letting her ride. Michael would have helped him get her back home; He would have been glad of Michael’s help then.

“What do you wager?” The man interrupted his thoughts, which hadn’t quite made their way to resolve that he should listen to Michael and leave the Tavern now.

He stood up for a second. He wasn’t backing down. He was Derrick LaPoint!; No, he was Henri LaPoint! And he also had his father’s reputation to consider. He had to play, whether or not Lizzie was happy about his gambling. He would have to make a fair wager, or better, as he had nothing to put on the table now.