A Long Awaited Journey

I hope you're enjoying the story so far; If so, please leave a comment to let me know what you think! Thank you so much for visiting "Ruin and Redemption"  

“It’s a letter from Charleston. I’d appreciate knowing what it says, Derrick-- If there’s anything that concerns me, that is," Lizzie stated shrewishly, handing the envelope to him reluctantly.

“Well, of course, my dear. If it has something to do with you, of course I’ll let you know," Derrick said with false sincerity.

“Thank you, Derrick. I appreciate it,” Lizzie was unconvinced.

“Well, let’s finish our meal, and I’ll open it later. And I’ll let you know, Lizzie.” Derrick smiled and began humming a tune. It was a French tune, a lullaby his mother had sung to him when he was small, and which Esme had hummed to him several times after they made love.

“What is that, Derrick?” Lizzie asked.

“What? The letter, I thought I’d read it later.”

“No, the song.” Lizzie replied, intensely regretting that she had not read, and then resealed the letter. From the way her husband so casually agreed to share its contents, she could tell he would likely reveal very little of the letter to her. And Lizzie suddenly felt she needed to know what was in it. The letter had the power to change her life. She knew that now. And what was in it? Didn’t she deserve to know what type of change was to come?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It was a Wintry day in February when Scarlett stepped out of her brother’s carriage and back onto the plantation. She had been delayed celebrating Christmas and the NewYear, and Derrick had been talking about her non-stop.

Lizzie was relieved it was only Scarlett, and actually smiled as she went to help Scarlett with her luggage.

Scarlett gave her a suspicious look as she surrendered the black bag.

Lizzie took it into the guest room, and went to help Patsy in the kitchen. Then, she remembered, Derrick was upstairs still. She went to the foot of the stairs.

“Derrick! Scarlett is back. Come down!”

“Scarlett?” Lizzie couldn’t help but wince at the excitement and expectation in his voice.

“Yes, Derrick. We were expecting her, and here she is.” Lizzie bit her tongue hard then, biting back harsh words, trying to see Scarlett as a sister, as Patsy had suggested. “Come in and have some food, Scarlett.”

Patsy rushed out of the kitchen and threw her arms around Scarlett, crying with relief.

“We were worried when you didn’t come home right away, baby. Weren’t we Lizzie?” Patsy encouraged.