At Home with Scarlett

“Well, Derrick, I don’t know what to say to that. It isn’t always easy being married to you. And believe me I know it isn’t easy being married to me under the circumstances. Perhaps things would be better if Joe had married me. But he didn’t. You did. And now that I’ve decided to recommit to our marriage, I hope you’ll try to take it seriously as well. Even if you do have Scarlett and Esme. I still want you to take this seriously, Derrick. You can still keep the rest of the vows even if you can’t manage the part about being faithful. Don’t just give up on me, on our marriage! I was terrified in my dream when I couldn’t get to you, and Michael was being hanged. Please don’t do this to me. I’ve lost one man I loved and I can’t bear to lose another, Derrick! I belong to you now, you’re my husband.”

“I know Lizzie, I know. We’ll make it through this somehow. Maybe they’ll stop now that the plantation is burned to the ground. Maybe that will be enough to satisfy them. At least it seems we’ve got Denning on our side now. That’s one more person.”

“Yes, one-- if I can ever forgive him, Derrick.”

“I don’t think it matters if you forgive him. I mean, it matters to him, I think. But he’ll still help us regardless. He’ll still fight on our side,” Derrick said heartened, realizing it was true.

“I hope you’re right. I wish a few more would change their minds. I wish I could be white like you so they would leave me alone!”

“I wish they’d just leave us alone, Lizzie! I don’t know what else to do. I do love you, but it seems I’m helpless. I wish Esme were here. She’d be another person at least, and she loves you Lizzie. She’d do whatever she could to protect you, just like I would.”

“Perhaps, but I just don’t know, Derrick! I just don’t know.. I don’t know if I can take it. It’s so much easier just alternating with Scarlett here. I’m sure you miss her; I do too, but there’s just not enough of you to go around with both of them! I need my husband more than twice a week, Derrick!”

“I know, Lizzie, I know. I really wasn’t just thinking about having another woman around, though. It would be another person, another friend and we need all the friends we can get.”

“Just hold me for a few minutes before you go back to bed with Scarlett. I can’t make a decision right now. I’m sure I’ll have plenty of time to think about it in the weeks to come. Maybe there are others we could invite? Business acquaintances that would prefer to sell their own land and come here? Think about that, Derrick,” Lizzie emphasized.

“I will, Lizzie. We'll make it somehow. Just hang on. I was wrong to try to step down. I’ll stick with you like I promised I would. I’ll keep to my word in that. I’m sorry. Please forgive me.”

“I’ll do my best, Derrick. I understand how you were feeling. But I want you to stay my husband, even if you don’t always do the best job. We made each other promises and we should stick by them. Besides, we can always start over in another lifetime, and be just really good friends without any promises, can’t we?”

“Yes, I’d like that. But like you said, we’re married now. And both of us are sticking with it. You’ll stay here in Horry, no running off to Paris, and I’ll be right by your side. I may not be faithful, but I’ll be your loyal one-legged husband for as long as you and I are both living.”