Rebecca Asks for Support for Hers and Derrick's Child

• Dedicated to Julia Darby Head

“Lizzie. You’ve got to hold onto your temper. Rebecca won’t tolerate getting slapped," Joe said determinedly. He had to make sure Lizzie was going to be peaceful before he introduced them.

“I’m not going to lose my temper over something that happened years ago, Josiah. I’ve known about that for ages!” Lizzie said. Didn't they realize she didn't just go around slapping everyone who had sex with her husband? It was just when things caught her off guard that she lost her temper.

“Oh. Well, I’ll bring her up then,” Josiah said relieved.

Josiah started swinging towards the doorway.

When he was almost at the door, he looked back at Lizzie, and she nodded again. Woodrow followed him and helped him back down the stairs to the kitchen to fetch Rebecca where she was talking with Patsy.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Hello, Patsy.” Rebecca said warmly, throwing her arms around Patsy for a squeeze when the door was opened.

“Rebecca! It’s good to see you!" Patsy said patting Rebecca on the back.

Rebecca had sent Woodrow Wilson and Josiah Walsh up the stairs to check on Derrick and assess the situation. She planned on visiting with Patsy until they could tell her if Derrick was even well enough to absorb what she wanted to say.

“You, too, Patsy. You’re still here with Lizzie and Derrick. Never did run off?”

“No, Rebecca. I can’t seem to leave her. I’ve thought about it plenty of times, though. But I figure I was put here for a reason. Can’t agree with this mess we live in, but all the same, I’m here for a purpose, Rebecca. Besides that, do you think an old woman like me would have much success on the road, dodging patrollers and dogs and who knows what else?” Patsy asked sincerely. Could she make it if she tried? She'd like to think it was really her choice to stay, but did she really have that choice to escape, and make it?

“I’ve got friends, or used to anyways, Patsy. You wouldn’t have to make it far on your own,” Rebecca assured her frankly. Patsy needed to get out of this situation, as far as Rebecca was concerned. No one needed to be a slave.

“Well, Rebecca, we’ll talk about it later, after the War.  But I’m betting now that the Yankees are going to win, Rebecca. I won’t have to worry about running away pretty soon. I can stay right here in Horry and be free and have my own farm if I want to. That’s what I’m counting on.” Maybe she didn't really want to escape. Rebecca was telling her it could be fairly easy, and here she was telling Rebecca no thanks, she'd rather stay where she was, and see wht happened. Or maybe she just had the willies, thinking about what Michael had been through. He hadn't had far to go on his own either, and look what happened to him? Not only killed, but tortured to death, cut up into pieces while he was still alive. Nobody would choose escape when that possibility still loomed, would they? Well, the young reckless ones would. Patsy was too old to be that reckless.

“So am I, Patsy. I’m doing what I can to insure that they do, too. But how can you stand to spend another two years in slavery like this? It’s two more years of your life that are being taken away from you! Don’t you want to get out as soon as possible?” Rebecca encouraged more strongly.