Derrick's Last Time w/ Scarlett before she goes with her father

Warning: This chapter contains a particularly graphic and disturbing episode.

Derrick came home and announced himself. “Lizzie, I’m home, does Patsy have dinner ready?”

“Yes, Derrick. And we have a guest having dinner with us and Scarlett.”

“Scarlett, did you say?” Derrick answered, leaving his coat on the hall tree and hurrying into the kitchen. What had possessed his wife to invite his mistress to dinner? He must have done something terrible, or else they were really worried about him; He hoped it was the latter.

“Yes, Derrick, darling. Remember how we talked about her father coming to visit and possibly taking her home for awhile? He’s here now.” She called, pulling a tray from the oven.

Derrick came into the kitchen, glaring. He had not really expected the old man to show up. He had abandoned Scarlett years ago, and Derrick had merely made the mistake of striking her once, and, and, well there had been the whipping, too, and now her father had shown up, after all these years! Derrick suddenly felt very defensive; He didn’t have to explain anything about the way he’d treated Scarlett; She was his slave, after all, even if he did love her more than he could say. She obviously didn’t feel the same way.

Mr. Morgan met Derrick’s glare with steady eyes. “I’m taking her with me, Derrick. I’m taking my daughter home. If I have to pay you for the loss, I will. But I’ve made up my mind, she’s coming with me,” He pointed at Scarlett as he said so.

Derrick wanted to protest, but he couldn’t help feeling that everyone, including Lizzie and Patsy had already agreed to it. He kept his hands in his pockets to keep everyone from noticing them shaking.

“I’m sorry, Derrick.” Scarlett said, suddenly realizing how much Derrick was going to miss her, and wishing she could stay and comfort him in his time of loss. But of course she could not. She felt an emptiness and grief where her passion for him had been; She would miss him, too, though she was ready to go.

Scarlett noticed her father was a bit taken aback by her. Lizzie was glaring at Derrick. Why?

“Oh, em, Mr. Morgan. Don’t worry. I gave Scarlett permission to call me by my first name when we’re just family here. Patsy, too…Scarlett is a good, obedient slave. She does as she’s asked.” Derrick repeated the words Lizzie had drummed into him over the past few months.

“Well, if that’s the case, it’s strange," Mr. Morgan paused, reconsidering, while everyone waited nervously. Finally, Mr. Morgan glanced back at his daughter. "But forgivable, of course. I gave her permission to call me father when we’re alone at home. I’m happy to have my daughter with me, but we must be careful of appearances.”

“I agree, sir. Scarlett is always careful around our other guests. I assure you, she has never caused myself or Lizzie any embarrassment.” To his surprise, he realized that it was mostly true, at least as far as other white people were concerned. She had never intruded on their domain when guests were expected, as much as she had threatened to.

Mr. Morgan smiled at his daughter fondly, as if she were still a young girl, as if he were unaware of the passage of time, and how long they had been separated. “I knew you were a good girl. Such a bright baby, too. You were sitting up and walking before you were expected to. My wife tried to be good to you, too. But she couldn’t take it when you started getting into her things, couldn’t take it that I had an affair with her house slave, and I couldn’t blame her. And I realized then that Annie was just going to become more and more unhappy with you. I had to get you away from her for both your sakes, and this was the best place I knew of at the time…Mr. Henderson was a great friend, and treated all his slaves fairly then…I know it got worse later, Scarlett! But I thought he would keep you in the house longer, too. You were such a bright girl, and your skin was light enough, you could have stayed inside.” He pleaded, wanting her to understand he regretted her ill treatment. She had to understand; He had to have his little girl back.