XXIV. Bittersweet

Mona's vision slurred as an eruption snapped her awake. She couldn't make out the form of the limping man rushing towards her for the throbbing of her head  made it hard for her to focus.

She felt weightless like an inflated baloon floating mid air, her stomach plummeted as she felt time slowed with the sudden descent of whatever she was on.

The metallic schreeching pierced her ears in an agonizing manner that only heightened the throbbing of her head.

It was only when she abruptly fell to the ground her head hitting the cold floor that she realized that she was near the end, her life flashing before her eyes as her vision started to go blank.

🎶The colors of the sun
Is the color of your smile.
My little sunshine
With you my life is so bright.
Never leave me for the clouds🎶

🎶Will shower down her tears
Little sunshine my dear
Shine with no fear.🎶

The melody played on as she recalled a distant memory with her mother before she remarried.

Her mother was combing her hair with the utmost care when her sight hit the mirror. The uncanny resemblance was undeniable except from the way her steel gray eyes deviates from her mother's bright blue.

Those striking eyes that she'll never see again. The thought made her choke on her tears the way she did when she ate a mouthful of pepper to save Natasha from Zero's goons.

Natasha, the sweet child that came to her when the thunder strikes. The one she holds on to when her nightmares wakes her every night. The one she left for a hope of finding her mother with the Castiglione's help. The one who turned into the twisted Natalia. The one she presumably killed.

Xavier, the casualty of Natasha's madness, she remembered was valiant. Took a bullet for her, even followed her to the abandoned foster home just to be stuck in coma. Did he wake up? She hopes he does despite knowing that he must've despised her now.

She remembered the way Shawn's cirrulean blue orbs shone with hope as he carefully went over the plan repeatedly to make sure they come out of there alive.

"I failed him again" she mused her stomach dropped as her conscience was eating away her sanity. She had regretted not thanking him enough for everything. Regretted not being able to sip her cappuchino with him during early mornings.

She prayed that he survived the explosion so at least one of them can come back to Marie.

She remembered the way Shawn looked at her with affection. She knew it would happen sooner than later as Marie grew into the sophisticated woman she is now.

"Come back to us ok." she recalled her friend crying when they were speeding off, choking on her sobs. It was like she knew it would be their last.

"Last." she pondered taking her back to that night when she gave herself willingly to Hugo.

"I finally found you." he said out of breath as if she was the most beautiful woman he has ever laid eyes on.

She couldn't care less about her dishevelled hair, the swelling of her lips, her ragged breath for she had never felt that kind of bliss. She was his in literal mind, body and soul.

"You always do. I love you, Hugo." she responded at the recollection of him finding her in the nick of time when she's in trouble. She smiled fondly at the memory, scooting herself closer to him.

"I love you more." he placed a kiss on her forehead as he drew her into his embrace, covering her with sheets.

Had she known it would be their last, she wouldn't have left her shack. They could've watched more Criminal Minds or go on a Barbie marathon. They could have, they could've done so much more.

She snapped back when she heard Hugo yell her name earlier.

"Mona look at me. This is not you. Please come back to me." she heard him say before he lunged for her shoving the then blooded brush off her hands.

Horror filled her being as she lifted the brush she didnt remember having earlier from the gruesome carnage flooding the floor.

Don Rafael called her Monique and he fondly did much to her displeasure.

"You see it worked out well for me. Monique does the dirty work then I clean up after. She's like a robot wired that kills when needed. All I did was pull the right strings. I even got her to avenge your mom from the Dubois." he cheerfully narrated.

How did she turn into the monster she had become?

Did she enjoy killing?

Did her mother know about it too?

Is that why she calls her Monique?

Did she drive her mother insane?

She had too many questions but held no chance to know the answer to. She knew her time was almost up when she can barely keep her eyes open, pain coursing every fibre of her body.

Blinking her eyes she saw a figure crawl towards her in an agonizing slow pace, calling her name.

"M-mona" the figure choked out her name drawing her focus on him, squinting her eyes to see better.

It was Hugo

He had held his hand out to reach her when the weight of the debris that fell on him took away his strength. She streched her limp arms to meet his, nudging her body closer to him in the tight space they were in. When her fingers touched his she noticed how cold his touch was.

Tears drenched her face slowly erasing the red that coated her face in its wake as she registered the situation her lover was in.

Judging by how pale he has turned she guessed that he probably lost a lot of blood.

She knew better than anyone how cruel fate can be, taking what little was left of her hope into pieces.

If this is the universe's idea of punishment then it had succeeded for she never felt as helpless as she did now, pulling herself closer to him in an pulling a muscle or two in doing so.

Her body ached all over but the thought of prolonging her Hugo's life made her persevere. When was finally able to prop herself in a sitting position she pulled him to her armsshe as she pooled the last of her warmth into that last embrace to make up for his lack of it.

"I a-always thought we'd grow old together, amore." his words pierced her soul as her dreams of a future with him was shattered.

"Maybe in another life" she wistfully said as she accepted their bittersweet demise, their hand intertwined for the last time.

====================================

I'm a fan of tragic endings. Can't you tell?
We're so close now😊

 Can't you tell? We're so close now😊