II. Has been

She stood there petrified like a dear in headlight gripping his hand in a desperate manner.

The buzzing of the phone, honks and tires screeching in the busy streets of New York and even the hustle bustle of the service crew has in no way distracted her from the danger lurking in the shadows bringing an impending doom.

Her gray orbs locked unto his hazel ones, an emotion she knew too well flickered in his eyes.

It was the same look from that rainy night of September 5th, 6 years back.

Her first abduction

"I'm a failure Mon. I-I let this happen." he wailed, salty hot tears mixing with the cold caress of the raindrop into her blood streaked face, caging her in a protective embrace after being found unconscious in a dark alley in the outskirts of New Jersey.

It had been a hard blow to Hugo who, blamed himself for her close hand brush with death. It was that moment she saw him so broken, the prodigy, so unsure of himself like a majestic eagle with a broken wing.

He was then sent to England for his Masters degree upon the insistence of his mother. He was coaxed into submission with assurance from his mother to keep Mona under her wing, taking care of her as she did until she passed away a year later.

A year passed by uneventfully, she was slowly mending her life until another abduction happened few days before his graduation.

He rushed home immediately to see her well and unscathed this time.

"Mon" she heard a voice call out in a shaky manner followed with a series of pants.

Following its source she tilted her head to reveal a man standing by the doorway with a couple of luggage sprawled near him. Recognition kicks in when her eyes locked unto his.

"Hugo."

Taking in his appearance she could tell a lot has changed in that 2 years of being away

His once prim style turned into that of a roguish man bringing attention to his sharply defined features chiseled by time yet she can tell that it wasn't the only thing that changed in him.

His cool demeanor, now a faćade to hide his agitation was given away by the way his chest heaves in synchrony with his breathing. His hazel orbs which used to have that bored confident glint now shone with fierce determination as he declared.

"I will keep you safe"

"Hush now, I'm here. I'm here." his deep voice awoke her from her reverie to find herself locked in his embrace. His fingers wiping away the tears she didn't even notice falling.