XIX. Spiraling

2 Years Later . . . . .

Hugo was swarmed with eligible bachelorettes the moment he walked in.

A mixture of respect and disdain can be seen from the gentlemen sparing him side glances as the ladies initiate small talks. An attempt to lure him into granting them favors, be it business or pleasure.

The attention pooled into him was expected after topping Forbes most sought after bachelors in the cosmopolitan state.

The recognition only solidified his place in the business world, skyrocketing Castiglione Empire's reputation into an all time high.

He tugged at his tie, the gesture calming his inner turmoil at the memory of a woman who used to do it for him before. He found it funny how such a simple task reminded him of Mona.

"Love--" called a familiar voice that made his body move on its own to find whom it belonged to.

"Mona" his voice came as a whisper, a plea to the Gods which was yet again unheard.

Urging himself to hide his disappointment, his face morphed into facade of glee as he pressed a peck on the lady's cheek that stood before him.

It was Lucy, the heiress to the Jones' fortune, who came rushing in to join the commotion.

"Ready?" she asked lacing her fingers to his. A look of triumph reigning over her features as she pushed all the others away. He let her drag him into their table, slightly thankful for her intervention as the other ladies went on their way.

"I'm sorry I didn't accept your invitation to come together. I wanted to surprise you but it turned out I was the one surprised! Those ladies doesn't have any refinements!" came her rants. He closed his eyes, not minding her company. His head nodding to whatever she was talking about as he savoured the melody of his date's voice.

"They sounded so alike." he grimaced, remembering the first time they met over dinner.

He knew accepting Lucy's proposition to be his girlfriend was wrong but hearing Mona's voice the moment she opened her mouth was the only thing that kept him sane for that long.

They finally reached their designated table with Shawn and Marie already occupied with each other.

The couple seemingly noticed their arrival as Shawn nodded in their direction while Marie stood up to greet them.

"Great to see you Lucy---" she flashed a smile in his date's direction then turned her sight to him, taking his other unused hand "-- Glad, you didn't skip this event Hugo."

"No paperwork means I need to look for other distractions." he responded bitterly, earning a sigh from Marie who was able to recover swiftly with a smile on her face.

"I'm keeping him occupied for the moment." Lucy interrupted, releasing Hugo from Marie's grip in brisk haste, jealousy written all over her face.

"Of course." Marie answered with mockery in her words, leaving them to their own deviced as she took her seat next to Shawn's who had this look of approval in his face.

He hadn't noticed how this lady morphed from the timid go-getter into this sophisticated woman in front of him. The realization only made him ponder how detached he was to his friend as he settled next to Shawn.

"So as I was telling you earlier love, these ladies have no sophistication! I'm doing you a favor by being your date. Notice how all ---" her rants drowned in his ears as he lets her voice lull him to peace, a smile leaked from his usual pocker face disposition.

"You're not listening!" she protested with a light slap on his arms to gain his attention. The action waking him from the trance he was in.

"I was. Afterall, it would be rude for a gentleman to interrupt when a lady is talking." he assured her as he took her hands, kissing the back of it.