IX. Inviting

WARNING

This chapter includes explicit content not suited for the younger audience.
Proceed with caution.

He bit his lower lip, pacing back and forth as his brows knit in confusion at the results handed to him by Shawn, unveiling the identity of the unfortunate soul whose dna on the third canvas belongs to.

"Gio." Hugo voiced out the name. His butler, prime suspect, now reduced to a victim bringing them back to square one.

"Just as Mona predicted."
He mentally noted as he recalled Mona's recent hunch.

They had been cautious. Even to the cops and would seldom omit information from them with Shawn being a suspect of theirs too.

"Speaking of the devil"

Hugo cussed through his mind as the man placed a hand on his slumped shoulder to draw his attention as he spoke in a manner full of assurance.

"Hugo, we need to conduct phase two as soon as possible. We need to speed up now that our prime suspect is dead and not who we think he is."

Hugo's thoughts trailed back to his beau, time spent hiding was such sweet torture dreading each parting. Stolen moments were never enough making him hope this ordeal would end soon for them to start anew without fear in the picture.

His usual calm disposition was replaced by an unsettled fidgeting, an uneasy feeling making his palms water. He mentally prayed to God as he raced after Shawn who headed to prepare his gears for the entrapment operation.

"Please be safe"

====================================

Her raven strands were blown back by the wind as soon as Xavier decided to roll down the roof of his pearl white convertable Porsche to feel the warmth of the late afternoon sun.

The weather has been foul the past few days yet that day ended it streak. The birds are humming, beez been buzzing as the flowers swayed as the wind caressed their petals.

The road was empty as they we're headed to the outskirts of New Jersey to visit Xavier's townhouse. He had invited her to come with him for he was given a vacation as a reward for busting the cartels.

She hesitated but she knew she had to look convincing. She had to act like she's interested at the guy. He was a good friend, a cover for her relationship with Hugo, plus the fact that he was bait.

She figured this must be a step in catching the maniac so she complied. However, whatever plan it was she was not informed.

She had known the route well as it was the path leading to the abandoned foster home she came from which burned down by the fire few days before she left.

After 49 minutes of catching up during the ride she was able to see the sign

"Welcome to Woodcliff Lake NJ"

Telling her they are close to their destination. He kept glancing from her then back to the road, making her conclude something was up, her mind immediately reeling the possibilities but was interrupted when he excitedly announced. "We're here!"

It was not what she had imagined it would be. Cross Estate was in no comparison to the Castoglione's yet the modest size of it along with the majestic lake facing it decorated with swans has its own beauty.