XVIII. Slowly

"Hugo." came her voice resonating through the pitch black void he found himself in.

He turned to look in hopes of finding her but to no avail.

Her voice, a sultry melody was laced with longing and pain that he dearly wanted to remedy.

"I love you." she added her voice cracking, shredding his heart to a million pieces.

"Please wake up." came another plea, desperation evident in her voice.

Those words played an endless loop taunting him as he was unable to call out her name. The state of helplessness eating away his sanity as her image slowly fades from his memory.

"No!" he jerked awake to the searing light of the sun allerting the medical personnel attending him.

"Why am I here?!" he inquired, tearing all the concoctions connected to his body but was easily apprehended due to his weak state.

"You were involved in a bombing incident weeks ago Mr. Castiglione. You suffered from bruises, cuts and a concussion, which was thankfully aided due to the swift respondence of your rescuers.

"We performed surgery so if you feel any discomfort or pain do let us know. The wound is still fresh so we advise you to take an ample amount of rest." Dr. Tyrion, the attending physician explained.

"Call Cathy my secretary to settle my bills. I would like to be discharged." he ordered as he positioned himself to sit upright.

"You need rest Mr.---" the physician's objection was cut promptly by Hugo who will not be told.

"I can do that at home. All I need are prescriptions." he stubbornly mused.

"I'm a very busy man if you haven't noticed, my stubbles turned to beard from waiting on your medication so will you give it or no?"

"I think its best to wait for a while before returning to your estate Hugo. The investigation is still on going." interrupted Shawn, letting his presence be known as he entered the room.

" Shawn!" exclaimed Hugo the moment he noticed his friend. Glad he was the one handling the case.

"You could start by investigating my competitors or those firms I've recently acquire. I have a feeling they're a behind that assault. Are there any casualties?" he inquired in a rush to which Shawn shook his head as a response.

Hugo released a long sustained breath as relief flooded his being.

"I know you are highly capable at what you do so I will heed your advise and stay at my penthouse suit in L.A for the mean time then."

Shawn sized him up before asking
"Tell me what you remember that night."

"The patient needs rest Officer." the irked physician reminded them in vain.

"No, actually it is best to settle this immediately. It was mother's 5th death anniversary, I threw a fund raising ball and for some reason I went out to check the hotels latest attraction when uuggghhh---" his mind reeled in from the pain as his body collapsed in bed when he saw the most beautiful set of gray eyes gazing at him from the door.

A look of shock and worry was etched in her face as she hesitantly took a step back and vanished from his sight.

"I will leave you for a moment to get everything ready." excused Shawn as he followed the lady that left, followed by the other medical practitioners.