Normalcy

Adrian shifted the gear to park and quickly ran to my side to hold open the door. I stepped out, careful not to jostle the new bandages on my back.

“Tanya!” Estelle called, waving dramatically from her perch on the school’s sign. Leah was standing on the wall next to her, teetering on the edge. Adrian gave me a little push, at the same time Jude showed up. In a spur of the moment, I gave him a quick kiss just at the corner of his mouth, a small temptation. I ran over to Estelle and Leah, turning fractionally to see Adrian’s shock. I smiled to myself.

“Where have you been Tanya? Adrian told us you were sick but he wouldn’t let us into the house,” Estelle whined.

“Good thing too,” I said. “It was pretty contagious. Adrian had me locked in my room and would leave food outside the door for me otherwise he would’ve gotten sick too.”

Estelle shuddered. Leah dropped down and sat on the wall, her legs chucked over the side.

“You know Mr. Novosi was gone at the same time you were. We heard a lot of interesting rumors,” Leah piped in.

I rolled my eyes. “I’m sure you two were the cause of some of them.”

“Not the one about you being pregnant with his kid.”

My jaw dropped. “Oh, ew! He’s a teacher! That’s disgusting.”

Leah shrugged. “You never know.”

“I’m glad to call you my friends,” I muttered. Estelle threw her arms around me in a hug.

“You love us girl!” Estelle shrieked in my ear. “But why were you guys out at the same time, hmm?”

“Ugh, Estelle, Leah, let me tell you something,” I said. The two of them leaned in as I spoke. “He. Made. Me. Sick.”

“How? Did he give you herpes or something?”

“Oh my God – you have such a dirty mind,” Leah exclaimed, hitting Estelle’s arm. Thankfully, the bell rang at the moment. I scurried away, hoping to avoid the conversation. I prayed they wouldn’t bring it up at lunch or I might just puke.

It was the second time in my entire high school career that I had ever arrived to Mr. Young’s class on time. Mr. Young welcomed me back with a small smile. I took a seat next to Koda who was beaming at me like the world would never end. I gave him a weary glance.

“What’s up with you?” I asked hesitantly. Before I could even finish the question, Koda had snatched up my hand, playing with my fingers.

“I’m just glad you’re feeling better,” Koda smiled.

“I’m not, I’m still sick.” Koda dropped my hand like hot potatoes and scraped his chair away from me. I chuckled. “Your face! Haha!”

“Well,” Koda harrumphed, sticking his nose in the air. “Whatever it is, I’m glad you’re back – it’s not the same without my favorite violent girl around.”

“I feel so special,” I said with mock flattery.

“Ahem,” Mr. Young cleared his throat, tapping his foot. “If you two are done, I’d like to begin my lesson.”

“Oh, don’t let me stop you,” I said, waving my hand. “I’ll just sit back and entertain the class with my ninja skills.”

“Tanya,” Mr. Young warned.

“I’m just kidding, Young One! Take a joke, or a thousand,” I added. Mr. Young shook his head but I saw the smile he was fighting back. The rest of the day dragged on. When lunch finally arrived, I ran through the doors and almost, almost, kissed the floor. Jude stopped me by dragging me up by the neck of my shirt.