Deathly

I’m going to die.

I’m going to die.

Adrian’s face popped into my mind, his bright blue eyes filled with determination, his brown hair flopping into his eyes. I imagined his arms crossed as he stared at me disapprovingly.

Adrian wouldn’t want you to give up. He would tell you to fight, just like he would.

I’m not going to die.

I was able to rouse myself from the haze that the shot had given me. I could see the balconies flying upwards in a blur, some with lights on, some darkened.

I tried to spread myself out, create as much surface area with my body to slow my fall. It was difficult, especially when I tried to swim through the thick air and approach the balconies. I glanced down to see the ground fast approaching, cars and people lining the roads, oblivious to the fact that I was falling to my death.

Again, Adrian’s face appeared in my mind.

I stared determinedly in front of me, and with all the energy I could muster, I threw my arms out. I shut my eyes tightly, afraid that I hadn’t made it. A sharp pain shot up my back as my arm was practically ripped out of its socket. I let out an excruciated sigh.

I peered over the edge of the balcony. The lights were off. I pulled myself up using the strength of my left arm to help me. Still though, I could feel my right shoulder clenching. I scrunched my face, gritting my teeth to avoid a cry of pain from escaping my lips. I collapsed onto my back on the hard floor, quickly rolling over to stop the surge of pain in my back.

I took deep breaths, trying to pull myself together. I stared up at the balcony above me. I didn’t doubt that Novosi could handle himself; I worried only that he might do something stupid, like jump off the terrace to come after me. I imagined him flying right past me, binoculars pressed up to his eyes as he searched for me. For some reason, that image had me giggling. I must be approaching the hysterical stage of the after effects.

Once I had stifled my laughter, and the pain had become just a little more bearable, I scrambled onto my feet, grabbing anything within reach to pull myself. I knocked over a potted plant and winced at the obnoxious sound it made – clay on clay. My mind was still recovering, so I thought slowly and carefully about my next step: how to get out of here.

Climbing down wasn’t an option unless I wanted to leave my arm hanging onto a ledge and my body splat in the middle of the road. I imagined a Tanya-shaped puddle that cars would drive over, completely oblivious.

Barging through the apartment behind me wasn’t a good idea either; when the owner woke up to find a trail of blood from their balcony to their door – it wouldn’t be a pretty sight.

I couldn’t stay here until someone found me either. A girl, knocked out and bleeding in a jumpsuit loaded with weapons would look very suspicious. The police would get involved and then there would be too many questions to answer.

A soft pounding below me caught my attention; flashing lights and music. A few floors down, I was able to see people dancing on a balcony. I grinned. A party was just my kind of escape.

I debated on whether ripping my arm out was worth making it to a party. A slow smile spread across my face. It was so worth it. I carefully swung myself down, my arms screaming out. I quickly blended in with a group that was heading inside, acting as normal as possible in the jumpsuit. I unclipped the belt around my waist and chucked it into a large, potted shrub.

I danced my way across the room, swaying my body to the music and ignoring the draining energy and the blood seeping through my suit. Just before I could reach the door, an arm wrapped around my waist.