chapter 35

"You ready to get going?" Clinton asked, popping his head through Mitchel's bedroom door. The younger Cave brother looked at him and nodded, letting out a soft breath as he finished up getting ready.

It was Mitchel's birthday and he was going to go out to eat breakfast with his parents and Clinton. It was always a tradition of theirs ever since they were kids along with Taylor. No matter whose birthday it was, they'd go out to start their special day. This was the first time in a while that they would go out for Mitchel's birthday, especially without Taylor being around.

The braided boy exited his bedroom and headed downstairs, his parents and older brother coming into sight. Their voices gradually became more audible as he approached them. Biddi turned around and smiled.

"Happy birthday, baby boy," Biddi gushed as she embraced her son in her arms.

"Thank you, mum," the Australian replied, chuckling softly. Once they pulled away, Mitchel turned to his father and embraced him as well. Though Biddi couldn't hear, she knew Brian whispered a "happy birthday" to Mitchel. With that, the four of them walked out of the house.

After a fifteen minute drive, the family stepped out of Clinton's car and made their way inside the restaurant. It took a few minutes before they were finally seated. Once they all ordered what they wanted, their conversation began.

"So, Mitchel," Biddi smiled, intertwining her fingers together on the table. "How'd you meet Reese?" Brian looked over at his son as well and smiled softly.

While his cheeks were heated up, he began to explain every detail to his parents. He talked about how they met at the beach, how they had a rocky start, the kiss they shared for the first time, and how they ended up where they were now. His parents made comments from time to time, but obviously good ones. They asked him how she was and he excitedly answered them, trying his best to not leave out any detail. He was always open with them – well, about certain things at least.

The rest of the morning went smoothly as the family ate their breakfast. For the most part, Biddi and Brian talked to Mitchel and left Clinton to enjoy his food in silence. He hasn't talked much to them since they left the house and they knew better than to disturb him. Mitchel sometimes forgot about what Clinton said regarding bothering him.

"Clinton," Mitchel said as their parents talked to one another. "Is everything set up for tonight?" The older Cave brother nodded and hummed in approval at his younger brother. He stabbed his fork into his food and sighed as he ate it.

***

After a few hours, everyone pitched in to help fix up the food and house for the party Mitchel was having for his birthday. It wasn't going to be a crazy one, but it was going to be enough for the ones that the braided boy wanted there. He encouraged the band and his parents to invite anyone they knew just to fill in the house.

Mitchel looked for his phone after a while, and once he found it, he decided to call Reese. He wanted her to come over before the party to spend time together.

"Hello?" Reese said once she picked up.

"Reese," Mitchel smiled. "What are you up to?"

"Getting ready," the small girl replied, a smile clearly on her face from the tone of her voice.

"Do you think you'll be ready in thirty minutes?"

The brunette hummed. "Most likely. Why?"

"You wanna come over before the party?" The braided boy asked in a hopeful tone. He but his lower lip softly as he waited for her to answer him.