chapter 5

It's been a few weeks since Reese and Mitchel last saw each other and hung out for the first time. Neither have bothered to text or call. It was as if they didn't know each other at all. They continued their days like they did before they met; Reese went to the beach from time to time as she always did, and Mitchel stayed at home as often as he could.

Mitchel constantly thought about how awkward things got between him and Reese very quickly. He also kept thinking about her breaking down crying as she drove out of the parking lot. The sight seeing her look so sad just for a quick moment made Mitchel... concerned. It left him wondering for a while and he's been tempted to reach out to her. However, he managed to hold himself back from doing so.

Reese, on the other hand, kept thinking of how Mitchel somehow already guessed what she does. It left her confused and scared of her secret suddenly being out. Nobody besides her family was aware of what was going on with her.

Currently, Reese was hugging a pillow as she stared at the wall. There were no feelings rushing through her body, and all she felt was her heart beating softly against her chest. She let out a breath and felt her body relax slightly, even for a short moment. The poor girl slowly felt her eyes become heavy, tempting her to fall into a deep sleep, but she did her best to fight it. It was late in the night, and while she should try getting some sleep, she couldn't do it.

A few nights ago, she had a nightmare. It prevented her from falling asleep at all that night. She couldn't close her eyes due to the fear of the nightmare happening again and again in a never ending loop. The brunette didn't want to go through that again.

It was like her mind was playing tricks with her. Whenever she'd have nightmares, it'd involve her family. However, this one was different. This time, Mitchel was involved. Like all the others that she's had, the people in them would have something bad happening to them. But Mitchel... nothing happened to him. The bad things mostly happened to her family as usual, but Mitchel was there, comforting her. He was there as she cried.

Reese didn't know what any of this meant, or why it was happening, but she didn't know how to feel about it either. She wasn't exactly happy about it, but neither was she complaining. It felt weird considering it felt so real to her. All the thinking she was doing made her grow increasingly exhausted as time passed by. She sat up and checked her phone as if she would receive any notifications from anyone.

The girl chuckled to herself, shaking her head as she did so. She realized how ridiculous it was of her to check on her device when nobody would even be there. Now that she thought about it, she didn't know why she even had a phone if she had no reason to use the device. The sudden urge to break her phone rushed through her body, causing her to grip it in her hand tightly. Soft breaths left her lips as she reminded herself to calm down and to stop trying to give into the temptation.

Moments went by before she actually loosened up her grip. Due to the silence in her bedroom, her phone going off made her jump slightly. She turned her phone over as the device came to life, the brightness of her screen hurting her eyes. The girl flinched and turned down the brightness quickly. The notification – pretty much the only one there – was a text message from Mitchel.

Mitchel
Hey

Reese's heart began to race as she read the simple, one worded text. She swallowed and looked around her dark bedroom, thinking of what he could possibly want. She had to remind herself to calm down and just be nonchalant.

Reese
oh hey.

Mitchel
What're you up to?

Reese
nothing, struggling to sleep.