chapter 26

"This bitch better be awake before I smack hi- oh, look at that," Clinton said to himself, pausing as soon as he entered the room. His eyes traveled from Mitchel, who was seated at his desk typing away on his laptop, to Reese, who was asleep peacefully on Mitchel's bed. "What's she doing here?"

"She fell asleep while watching TV with me," the younger boy explained, shrugging his shoulders as he turned his attention back to the laptop in front of him.

"When the hell did she come over?" Clinton asked, his eyes widening as he furrowed his eyebrows. He was confused since he didn't hear the front door being opened at all last night.

"Around one in the morning," Mitchel responded. "You were all dead."

The older Cave brother sighed deeply. "Well, alright. But we've got to hit the studio again today. She's gotta go soon."

"Why can't she just come with us?"

"You don't know if she'll leak our shit without us knowing, Mitchel," Clinton said quietly as he rolled his eyes. "Wouldn't risk it if I were you."

"She's not going to do that," Mitchel scoffed, trying to keep his voice down in order to avoid waking Reese. By now, he had stopped typing and turned to face his older brother.

"Like I said," Clinton paused. "I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Remember how many times Valentina threatened to leak shit that was a surprise to the fans?" The braided boy stayed quiet. He knew Clinton was right, but he didn't know why he couldn't just bring her along to hang with them.

"Fine," Mitchel muttered, looking down to avoid making eye contact. "I'll be out soon." Without another word, Clinton exited the room, closing the door softly. The boy's eyes shifted over to Reese, whose mouth was slightly opened as soft snores escaped. He smiled sadly to himself, feeling sorry for her.

After a few minutes, Reese began to stir around, shaking Mitchel out of his thoughts. He sat up straight as the brown eyed girl's eyes fluttered open softly, causing her to scrunch up her nose and squint her eyes when she was greeted by the brightness of the bedroom. A soft breath left her lips when she spotted Mitchel sitting at his desk.

"Oh, good morning," she mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

"Morning," the braided boy smiled, looking at her. "You want some breakfast?" Closing her eyes once more, the small girl nodded softly. Mitchel took this as a signal to rise to his feet and leave the room. However, before he did so, Reese caught his attention.

"Wait," she said, suddenly being wide awake. Mitchel turned to face her, confusion clear on his face. "What am I doing here?" She asked, looking around the room.

"You fell asleep last night and I didn't want to wake you up," the braided boy explained. "It was late as hell." After looking at him in the eyes for a few more seconds, she quickly reached for her phone to check for any notifications. Luckily for her, there was none, causing her to let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"Okay," she simply said, smiling softly at him. With that, Mitchel exited the room, closing the door behind him softly. While he was downstairs, Reese continued to stay in bed, observing the room. It had plain white walls, dark brown, wooden floorboards, and was quite neat. Reese felt a sense of comfort being in Mitchel's room. She didn't know why.

She sat there, staring off into space as her thoughts consumed her entirely. The small girl began to think of how much safer and calmer she felt around Mitchel unlike with her family members. It was like he was her happy place, where she'd simply think of him and she'd feel at ease. Ever since he came into her life, she's been feeling better than she ever has.