chapter 22

"Do you want anything to eat or drink?" Christian asked once more after they showed Reese around. The small girl thought about it for a moment, humming to herself as she looked up at the ceiling. She nodded softly once she finally decided.

"Do you have any soda?" She asked quietly. Mitchel observed her for a few minutes, noticing the shyness and nervousness that Reese was showing. It was a little weird for him, considering Reese was always trying to be confident around him. This wasn't the Reese he exactly remembered from Nate's party.

Christian nodded and went to the kitchen to grab a can of soda. Reese had told him that she didn't mind what it was. Mitchel and Reese sat down on the couch, waiting for Christian. Everyone else had gone up to their rooms, feeling slightly exhausted. Jesse and Pat had gone out to talk to Reese for a while until they dismissed themselves. Clinton, however, didn't do anything at all.

"Here," the blond said, handing a can of 7up to the small girl. "This was the first thing I saw."

"Thank you," Reese smiled, her eyes lighting up when she saw the can.

"Do you like 7up?" Mitchel asked, noticing the way her face looked when she was handed the can. She nodded, smiling sheepishly.

"Yeah," she responded quietly. "One of my favorites." As Mitchel looked at her, Christian began to talk to her. However, he began to tune them out, his main focus being the brown eyed girl right next to him. He couldn't help but admire her.

"Mitchel," Christian said for the third time. "Staring isn't nice. Stop doing that." The braided boy blinked a few times in confusion, making Reese bite her lip to stop herself from laughing.

"What?" He asked, looking at both his best friend and the small girl. "Shit, sorry." The blond smirked at him before going back to talking to Reese. This time, Mitchel jumped into the conversation, making sure he wasn't tuning them out.

About an hour later, the three of them were still seated on the couch, but they were watching TV. Jesse had come downstairs, his feet dragging across the cold floor. He yawned loudly by the time he got to the last step, looking at the three that were plopped on the couch. Confusion rushed through the drummer as he looked at them.

"Oh wait," he said tiredly, his voice slightly raspy from just waking up. "Reese?"

The small girl raised her eyebrows at him. "Hm?"

"You're still here?"

"Shut up, Jesse," Mitchel scoffed playfully.

"I'm just wondering," Jesse defended, putting his hands up. Another yawn escaped his lips as he made his way into the kitchen to grab some water. "But really, I'm shocked."

"Why?" Reese asked, furrowing her eyebrows. A soft pout was plastered on her lips.

"It went quiet and I thought you left," he said, appearing back in the living room. Christian and Mitchel let out a soft chuckle at Jesse's reasoning.

"Well," Reese laughed. "I'm still here." With that, Jesse dismissed himself and headed back upstairs. The three heard a door shut from the second floor, signaling that Jesse was back in his room.

Reese pulled out her phone and turned it on. Immediately, she saw a ton of messages from mostly her mother. Of course, there were some from her father and brother, but she knew her mom would be the one to go over the top. It barely hit the girl that she forgot to tell them where she was going besides the movies. She muttered a few profanities to herself as she checked the time. It was nearly midnight.

"What's wrong?" Mitchel asked, catching Christian's attention as well.

The small girl sighed. "I forgot to tell my family that I wasn't coming home yet. Now they're all freaking out." She mentally cursed at herself for being so forgetful. The two boys looked at one another, unsure of what to say. Mitchel wanted her to stay, but he knew her family wouldn't be too happy with her if that was the case.

"You should give them a call," Christian suggested. Reese nodded, knowing the blond was right. She excused herself and stood up, walking toward the front door. All she could think about was her mother lecturing her nonstop, and coming up with an excuse.

She tapped on her mother's contact info and her number. The small girl put her phone to her ear. Reese bit her lip, listening to the ringing. Finally, her mother answered.

"Where the hell are you?!" The older woman yelled immediately, making Reese roll her eyes. "Do you know what time it is?!"

"Mom, calm down," Reese winced, realizing her mistake as soon as the words escaped her lips.

"Don't tell me to calm down, young lady," her mother exclaimed. "You've had your father and I worried sick all day! You didn't let us know where you're at! Get your ass home right now."

"I-"

"No buts. You better be home soon."

Reese sighed and hung her head in defeat. She had no choice. There was no use in arguing with her mother, knowing she wouldn't listen anyway.

"Okay."

Without another word, the line went dead. The small girl stared at the pavement below her for a moment before looking up at the sky, seeing a few stars. A soft smile formed on her lips before she realized she was wasting time. When she heard the front door creak open, she whipped her head around and saw Mitchel standing there, a look of concern on his face.

"Hey," he said softly. "Everything alright?" Reese shook her head and let out a breath.

"Mom's pissed," she chuckled sadly. Mitchel smiled sympathetically. "I have to be home right now before she kicks my ass."

"I'm sorry," Mitchel sighed.

"You didn't do anything. Don't be," Reese shook her head. They made their way into the house so Reese could get her purse from the couch. Christian looked at them questioningly. "I need to go, I'll see you guys another time. Thanks for having me, by the way."

"Anytime," Christian nodded. "Stop by whenever you want. You're welcome here." Reese nodded appreciatively.

"Thank you," she smiled. "And thank you, Mitchel."

"No problem," he softly smiled, a little sad that she has to go. "Want me to walk you out?"

"Please?"

With that, Reese said her last goodbye to Christian as they made their way out. It was quiet between them until they reached Reese's Honda.

"I'm a little sad you're leaving," Mitchel smiled sadly. "Wish you could stay longer."

"I wish, too," Reese sighed, smiling up at the braided boy. "But, you know, mom's are mom's." He chuckled softly at Reese's words and nodded. After a few seconds, the small girl clicked her tongue.

"I'll see you soon, though, right?" Mitchel asked, looking at Reese with hopeful eyes. She smiled, nodding. The Australian let out a breath of relief.

"Well, now's my time to go. I'll text you later," Reese said before wrapping her arms around Mitchel. It took the braided boy by surprise at first, but he relaxed and wrapped his arms around the small girl as well. They both felt a sense of safety and comfort in each other's arms. After a few seconds, they pulled away from one another. Without another word, Reese got into her car and started it. She threw a soft smile at the braided boy as she pulled out. Mitchel waved at her and before he knew it, she disappeared out of his sight.

As soon as she was gone, Mitchel's hand dropped down to his side. He sighed and felt a sense of sadness and emptiness. After a moment, the boy clicked his tongue and made his way back into the house.