chapter 6

"Yo, Mitchel," a voice yelled, causing him to look up from his phone. "Been a while."

"Hey Nate," Mitchel replied, nodding his head as the guy approached him. "Really has. How've you been?" Once he was closer, Mitchel was able to see the changes in his face.

Nate was a tall, pretty bulky dude. He had black, curly hair and brown eyes with slightly tan skin. His style kind of reflected Mitchel's in a way. Both wearing long sleeved shirts and a pair of skinny jeans.

"Been alright. Got a girl now," Nate smirked as Mitchel raised his eyebrows in shock. "I know what you're thinking. Who would've thought someone like my stupid ass would get a girlfriend, right?"

"Close, but not really," Mitchel laughed, raising his hand for a high five. "Congrats, though, dude. I'm happy for you."

"Thanks," Nate responded. "You'll be meeting her in a bit. She should be coming soon too." Mitchel nodded. He began to think of what she looked like. Maybe she'd have brown hair, a nice body, and blue or brown eyes? It sounded like it'd be Nate's type. An image of Reese popped into his head, reminding him that he invited her. His eyes widened as he turned to look at his friend, which caused them to stop walking.

"Oh yeah, I kinda invited someone else to this party as well," Mitchel said, sounding rushed. "Is that okay with you?"

"Definitely, man! More people means more fun," Nate laughed.

"Alright cool," Mitchel sighed. "No idea when she'll be here, but I'm sure she's coming."

"Oooh, it's a lady, huh?" A smirk appeared on the black haired boy's face. "She your girlfriend?"

"Fuck no," Mitchel said loudly, shaking his head. "Just a friend." The braided boy felt weird calling Reese a friend. They weren't exactly friends, but weren't strangers either. They were more of acquaintances.

"Hm, alright," Nate said, nodding a bit. "Well, let's head inside." The two made their way through the large doors, catching Mitchel's breath. He had forgotten how huge Nate's house was.

"It's been too long," Mitchel said, breathlessly. He was amazed at how much cleaner it looked as well. The last time he had been to Nate's house was a few years back due to him starting to focus on music. He was able to recall the mess that was in the kitchen and living room. Don't even get him started on the boy's bedroom.

"Yeah, managed to tidy the place up. It feels a lot bigger when it's clean," Nate laughed. Mitchel nodded his head in agreement. He's been there before. The Australian boy thought back to when his mother would yell at him for having a messy room and asked Clinton to help his brother.

A vibration in his back pocket interrupted his thoughts. Mitchel pulled out his phone and saw that Reese texted him.

Reeses Pieces
hey, idk if i'm at the right place.. come out?

Immediately, Mitchel excused himself from Nate and made his way out the front door. He looked around and saw Reese's wavy brown hair. Her outfit caught his eye, since she wore a light pink shirt, a black skirt, a pair of black converse. She leaning against a car door, looking down at her phone. With a soft but slightly nervous smile, Mitchel jogged over to her.

"Hey," he started as soon as he was close to her. She looked up in surprise, but her expression softened once she saw Mitchel's familiar face in front of her. A soft smile curled on her lips.

"Hey. Nice to see you again," she said, looking down at her outfit. Once her eyes met with Mitchel's, silence fell between them. Reese chuckled and looked around, breaking eye contact. "So, um, this is the house, huh? It's pretty huge."

"Yeah. One of my close friends is the host of the party," Mitchel explained. They finally began to make their way into the house.

"What's his name?" Reese asked. As they walked through the large doors, Nate immediately spotted the two and approached them.

"Ooh," Nate smirked as soon as he was by Reese and Mitchel. "Girlfriend?" He asked. Mitchel knew this was on purpose considering the fact that he already told Nate that they were nothing more than just friends.

"Excuse me?" Reese asked, immediately looking at Mitchel.

"Nate," Mitchel said, a warning tone in his voice. "I already told you we're just friends. Don't start." Nate raised his eyebrows at his friend, putting his hands up as well as he mouthed an "okay, fine" with a smirk. Nate walked away from them, deciding he might as well introduce himself later.

"What was that about?" Reese asked once Nate was nowhere near them. She furrowed her eyebrows and bit the inside of her cheek. "That was quite a first impression there."

"I'm so sorry about him, Reese," Mitchel sighed, placing his hand on his forehead as he closed his eyes. "He just doesn't know his limits sometimes."

"Did you tell him we were dating?"

"No, no. Absolutely not," Mitchel shook his head and let out a laugh. "He just assumed you were my girlfriend because I told him I had a friend coming who was a girl." Reese didn't respond to Mitchel, but instead she nodded and observed the house with interest clear in her eyes. She let out a breath before looking at Mitchel once more.

"So, what now?" She asked, shrugging her shoulders.

"Are you hungry?" He asked. "Nate's got some pretty good food for this party."

"A little," Reese admitted. "Oh, so that's his name, huh?"

"What?" Mitchel asked in a confused tone. "Oh wait. Yeah, his name's Nate." Reese nodded.

"Wait, before we get food, do you know where the bathroom is?" She asked, looking around. Mitchel breathed in and squinted his eyes, attempting to remember where the bathroom was. Reese noticed Mitchel struggling and laughed. "We can go ask Nate if it's too much to think about."

"No, I got this," Mitchel replied, shaking his head quickly. "I haven't been here in a while so I've kind of forgotten where it was. But I do think there's one down here by the kitchen." The two made their way toward the kitchen, and like Mitchel had hoped, there was a bathroom. He sighed, laughing mostly to himself. Reese excused herself and made her way into the bathroom as Mitchel debated on heading to the kitchen or waiting for her.

"Mitchel!" feminine voice said from behind, causing Mitchel to turn around quickly. He immediately recognized the pale, black haired girl. His heart dropped and he felt himself grow tense at the sight of her. "Great to see you here!"

All Mitchel could do was stand there. His heart began to race like crazy. He didn't expect to see her here, but there she is, standing right in front of him.

"Hi," he said, slightly quiet. It was rare for Mitchel to be this tense around anyone that he's known. However, it was different around her. The realization that Reese was here with him hit him like a truck, and he began to stumble over his words. "Hey, can you- do you think we can- why are you-." The bathroom door swung open, causing Mitchel to jump slightly. They both turned to look over at Reese as she came into view.

The brunette looked at them and noticed the anxiety in Mitchel's eyes.

"Hey Mitchel," Reese smiled, feeling anxious. The look on Mitchel's face made her stomach turn. "Who's this?"

"This is-" Mitchel started, quickly getting cut off.

"I'm Valentina," she smiled widely, making her eyes barely visible. "Mitchel's ex."