chapter 28

"Reese? Reese!" Luke shook his sister softly, whispering excitedly. "Wake up!" Reese groaned as she began to shift around, fluttering her eyes open. She was greeted immediately by the bright light in her bedroom.

"What?" She mumbled, her voice slightly raspy. "It's too damn early for this."

"I have to tell you something," he smiled. The small girl hummed, signaling for him to continue. Her eyes fluttered shut but she made sure she wouldn't drift off into a deep sleep. "Do you remember mom and dad's rich friend?"

"Who?"

"Mr. Fields."

Reese slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Yeah. Why? What about him?" Luke shifted around on the bed, adjusting himself before he got to the news.

"Mom just said he reached out this morning and said he's going to have a party this Saturday," the younger boy explained as his eyes lit up. He was always excited going to fancy events like this, mostly because it was slightly rare for them to attend. But for some reason, he seemed a little too excited.

"Do I have to go?" Reese groaned. She dreaded the thought of having to get all fancied up for one night. She barely wanted to get ready just to go get food.

"Yes!" Luke exclaimed. "The whole family's going."

"Dammit," she sighed, putting another pillow over her face as she closed her eyes.

"Oh, come on. It won't be that bad. And besides," the brown haired boy paused, letting out a laugh. "Maybe you can bring your friend along too."

Reese's eyes snapped open. She swallowed harshly, actually considering the idea. Well, she's never seen Mitchel in a suit, and she felt like she'd want someone who could bring her comfort there. A soft breath left her lips once she lifted the pillow off her face.

"I'll think about it," she finally said after a few moments of silence. Despite saying this, she already knew what her decision was. "Now get out of my room." Luke happily hopped up to his feet and skipped out of the room, causing Reese to chuckle.

Her eyes shifted up to the plain white ceiling above her. Images of Mitchel in a suit began to flood her brain as she tried to imagine it. With what she's seen, she couldn't exactly picture him in one. He liked to wear jackets with hoodies, a pair of black jeans that had patches on it (pretty much his favorite pair of jeans), and his white converse. Seeing him all fancied up is something she never knew she needed until now.

She was brought out of her thoughts when someone was at the door. The small girl turned her head to face the door immediately as her father entered.

"Did Luke tell you?"

"Yeah, he did," Reese nodded once before turning her head once more.

"You wanna go?" The older man approached his daughter and sat on her bed, making the mattress dip down slightly. She sighed softly and shrugged, not letting out any other words. "I mean, I don't want to force you. Robert wants to see you and your brother, though. It's been a while anyway."

"I know."

"Did you know Luke's bringing a date?" He said, sounding as if he was trying to hold back his laughter. Reese's eyes snapped toward her father, a laugh escaping her lips.

"A date?" She repeated, clearly shocked. Maybe that's why he was a bit more excited.

"Yup," the older man laughed, his eyes disappearing into little slits from laughing. "A girl in his class that he's apparently liked for a while." Reese hummed before chuckling. Sometimes, she'd forget he was seventeen and still in school.

"That's a surprise. Never would've expected him to catch a girl."

"Hey, he got the looks from yours truly," her father struck a funny pose, making Reese laugh a little bit more.

"You keep telling yourself that," she laughed. With that, he gave her a hug before dismissing himself and exiting the bedroom. The small girl decided to play some music for a little while.

She connected her phone to the small bluetooth speaker she had on her nightstand. As she scrolled through her playlist, she finally settled on "bitches broken hearts" by Billie Eilish. The song began to play on the speaker softly. As the sound filled the room, she sighed. Soon enough, Billie's voice was heard, making her grow softly as the sing played on. Before she knew it, her eyes fluttered shut and she fell into a deep sleep.

[ a/n ]: hope you're all ready for what's coming:)