Chapter 3: Run Away

(Y/n)'s POV

After a long day, it was time for us to get some sleep. I patted my not - so soft bed and plopped on it. I hid myself in my blanket and thought of the things that had happened today in order to sleep.

Midnight.

"(Y/n), wake up!" somebody said.

My eyes opened up in surprise. The smell of smoke entered my nostrils and the cell felt awfully hot. I got up to look and the scene in front of me made my stomach drop. In front of my bed lies a petite nurse. She was dead. Her body was twisted at an odd angle and blood flowed from her abdomen. Haemophobia kicked in. I covered my mouth to restrain myself from vomiting.

'Why is this happening?!' I wanted to cry. My bad memories were coming back to me and I hate it. No, I despise my past memories...

Not only that, the cell was on fire. I had to get out of here because time is ticking away. I tried my best to ignore the dead nurse and headed to the door. To my shock, it wasn't locked. I thought the fire was only happening at my cell.

But then I was wrong.

The flames slowly ate up the things of the hospital and I could hear the cries of the people from the 4th floor. I wanted to run but my knees buckled itself and I couldn't bring myself to get up. This is the end. I'm going to die here without even my family knowing. I started to cough due to the thick, black smoke and I struggled to fill my lungs with fresh oxygen.

"Don't give up (y/n)..." the mysterious voice echoed in my mind again.

Don't give up. That simple phrase was enough for me to control my legs again. I mustered up the courage and ran as fast as possible. The stairs weren't being blocked with anything so the fire hadn't burned it yet. I made it to the 2nd floor, but something surprised me. It wasn't the good kind of surprise.

From where I stood were numerous doctors, all dead and bathing in their own blood. I almost wanted to faint, but I can't. I still want to live in this world and do the things that I haven't done for so long. So I ran straight, dodging the corpses of the doctors.

"Help!" a weak voice cried. In the corridor there was a little child, unable to stand up. She was coughing continously and the fire slowly consumed the sleeves of her jacket. I did what I could not believe. I swooped her in my arms and ran to the stairs. I've never saved someone before but my mind told me that I should. Her weight just slowed me down though, and I blame my weak stamina for this.

Debris were falling down and I had to be careful cause I might activate my quirk. I can see the stairs now. It won't be long till we can be saved. And it also won't be long till I lose my consiousness.

I climbed down the stairs and stopped for a moment. The two corridors were blocked by fallen debris and the flames were eating them up. So the exit was blocked.

'What should I do?!' I glanced to the kid then to the fire. I can't let her die here, she still needs to be with life. The windows were my only choice. I placed the child down and took a rubble that I found by the broken structures and used it to break the glass. It took me 3 tries to get it to break.

I picked up the kid again and jumped out of the window. We rolled out from the burning hospital. My back ached because of the hard ground and my clothes were probably filled with dirt. I grab hold of the small kid and led her away from the burning building. The fire trucks came and I can hear the sirens echoing.

Some patients made it out of the building. They were accompanied by the police while the heroes helped by putting the fire out. I glanced at the little girl then to the crowd.

"G-go to them..." I patted her back to encourage her.

"But what about you?" her big eyes stared at me with worry as she gripped my sleeves tightly.

I gave her a minuscule smile, "I-I will be fine. Those p-people will take care of y-you."

She looked at the people then to me. Her hands slowly let go and she ran to the police. I hid behind the bushes and for the last time, I looked back at the child. She looked safe in the hands of the heroes as she was being led to a vehicle with the other patients. Since I've done my job, I ran. I ran far away from the asylum hoping to never see it again.

That hospital got me too traumatised for so long and I don't think I ever want to come back to another hospital again.

It was like the first time in forever that I've seen the city. I already forgot almost every location here because I have been kept in that mental asylum in a very long time. The cold breeze nipped my exposed skin causing me to shiver. I regret unrolling my sleeves so I sat down on the floor near in a dark and narrow alley.

The stench of rotten leftover food made me scrunch my nose in irritation. I had to quickly put up my hands in my nose to escape the horrible smell. As I looked for another location, I sort of remembered one place in Japan that my parents used to take me. But the place toady was empty and silent. There weren't much people during the night because of how dangerous it is. Only a few cars drove by and there are probably some heroes going on patrol.

I saw a nearby bench and thought of sleeping there for the night. I sat there for a moment and pondered. If I sleep here then maybe someone might know that I'm a mental patient who escaped from a mental asylum!

I don't have any money in my pockets so it would be a struggle to find shelter and food. But I'll find a way... somehow. I also have the stinky alley as my choice, it's dark and probably enough for me to hide. But I can't endure the smell of trash and other stuff that's thrown away.

I really got no other choice, I walked back to the dark alley and gathered some old newspapers to make a small blanket and a poor quality bed. I moved the stinky plastic of trash to another location so that it would lessen the smell. Once I have accomplished my job I laid to the ground filled with newspapers.

It was cold so I curled into a ball. Since I can't really sleep due to the noise of the city I decided to count the lights of the city buildings.

'35... 36...37, oh my gosh this is so tiring,' a yawn escaped my mouth. Finally I'm almost getting sleepy! I continued counting till I lost track of the numbers and a few minutes later, I had drifted off to sleep.

----------------------------------------

Damn, this chapter is short. I feel unsatisfactory about it...

I guess I'll just have to make the other chapters longer next time.

Oh! And just a short advertisement, please read my other book named The Bloody Survival. It's a Magi fanfic but in a modern version. Please check it out!