Chapter 19 - Shattered

Harumi pov:

"That looks much better," I said to myself after making my bed. I fluffed up the pillow once more and walked into the bathroom to wash up and get neatly dressed for another boring day in the hideout.

Just a little more than a month had gone by since we came to life here and Madara went out to fight in the war. I've had almost nothing to do besides read some books that Kabuto kun had got for me, draw and go on endlessly long walks through the hideout. Since Kabuto kun was always busy and involved in the war, I barely got to talk to him. Grandpa had been a little tired off late and unable to sleep too well at night probably because of the cold and I usually didn't disturb him when he was resting or reading his books.

At one point, when my boredom was overwhelming, I had considered asking Zetsu san to bring me a potter's wheel and some clay. I figured that I wouldn't be able to sell any of the ceramics I made though and it would only clutter the hideout so I dismissed the idea quickly. I tried to spend as much time possible reading, trying to cook self-developed recipes and even tried embroidery. It still left me with way too much time on my hands – I just hoped the war ended soon and I got the chance to leave this hideout and make ceramics again.

I hadn't thought anymore about Madara after the discussion with Grandpa. Well, I had spoken to him one more time after that and he had repeated whatever he had said the first time – that Madara truly did love me and that it was up to me to see that and decide what I wanted to do about it. And no matter what I chose, he said he would support me. Him saying that wasn't of much help actually since I needed more help in the 'deciding' part than the 'support the decision' part. Then again, I wasn't so sure if I wanted to tell him what Madara's abilities were and what he had threatened me about.

Then again, since Grandpa knew that Madara was the instigator of the war, he probably also knew that Madara was someone really really strong. As such, I gave up thinking about Madara's and my feelings. When Madara returned from the war – which I had no idea when it would be – I would do the serious thinking.

Having finished getting dressed after my bath, I combed my hair and tied it in a high ponytail. I headed out to wake up Grandpa like I usually did, though he was always awake and ready by the time I invaded his room, while thinking of preparing his favorite breakfast today. I knocked on his door but didn't get a response so I let myself in and walked up to his still sleeping figure. I raised a brow and put my hands on my hips as I watched him.

"It's a surprise seeing you still asleep, Grandpa," I mused. "C'mon, Grandpa, time to wake up! And guess what? I've planned to make your favorite breakfast today!"

My smile faltered when he made no movement. I reached out to him to shake him, hoping to wake him up, but tensed upon feeling just how cold his body was. I turned him towards me but he was limp and his eyes remained closed. My heart skipped a beat in alarm and I shook him more. Why was he so still? Why wasn't he breathing?? Was he...no! He couldn't be!

My eyes watered at the negativity that had begun to rise in me and I bit my lip as I stumbled back a few steps before rushing out of the room to look for Kabuto kun. I ran to the room where he usually stayed and skidded to a halt at the entrance while breathing heavily.

"Kabuto kun!" I called and he looked up from the map he was sitting in front of and placing different colored stones on, his face emotionless – just as it had been when he looked at me since Madara kissed me in front of him. But when he saw the apparent alarm on my face, his expression changed to one of worry. He got up and I met him halfway as he walked up to me.

"What's wrong, Haru chan?" he asked, cupping my face tenderly with one hand.

"It's Grandpa!" I said, tears that had welled in my eyes now falling over as I tugged him to follow me. "H-he's not waking up! Something's wrong! You have to come see him, please!"