Chapter 15 - Accepting Reality

Harumi pov:

I felt hot. Hot and sweaty and uncomfortable.

I was stuck between something solid – one against my back and one right in front of me, though what was in front of me seemed to radiate heat, even reflecting the heat of my own breath that I exhaled. I squirmed but couldn't get free from whatever it was I was stuck between. There was also a heavy dead weight on my middle that added to the feeling of suffocation.

I groaned in annoyance, resisting the desire to scream and shove whatever was around me away. I did try to shove the source of heat away to no avail. It didn't budge even an inch.

Finally whining, I cracked my eyes open to get a look at what was making me feel this uncomfortable. I saw smooth and pale skin and I groaned again while turning my head a little to stop my breaths from being redirected to me. I squirmed and pushed back against the cushion behind me to put just a little distance from what was in front of me and I finally looked up. I was thoroughly awake the next second and my blood ran cold upon seeing none other than Madara sleeping in front of me. What's worse though, was that he was shirtless.

I brought my hands up to cover my mouth before a gasp escaped and heat rose to my cheeks in fluster as I realized that I was asleep on his arm which rested against the sofa's backrest behind me and his other arm was flung carelessly over my midsection with his palm against my lower back. I had slept in his arms like this for the entire night.

When I thought about it though, I do remember falling asleep while lying on top of him. He had slapped me for struggling prior to that and my cheek and jaw was still a little sore because of it. I had complied with his command and stopped struggling...and I had said some rather embarrassing things in front of him. I paled as I recalled what I had told him...oh goodness, how could I have said all that and cried in front of him??

I closed my eyes and let out a barely audible exasperated sigh while wondering how I should face Madara from now on. Opening my eyes moments later, I looked at his face again only to forget my previous embarrassment and look over the surprisingly calm expression as he slept. It was a little strange too – besides the forceful and dominant Madara who had frightened me on his first visit and the gentle Madara who had protected me and helped me, this façade was a whole new side of him. I had never thought that he would have an expression so calm and peaceful that I didn't feel afraid of even a bit. In fact, this position was rather comfortable and made me feel safe.

I shifted so my head was in the crook of his neck, just like how I had been moments before I woke up. Warmth bubbled in my chest at the safety I felt while pretty much cuddling with him. In doing so, I was also made more aware of the fact that we were pressed up against each other. I mean, two people sleeping on a couch obviously would mean being squashed together...and more heat rose to my cheeks, definitely making my blush darken. It was embarrassing enough that I was lying in the arms of the man who had kissed me as if he was my boyfriend so why on earth was I doing something so embarrassing?!

I moved my head away from the crook of his neck and glanced at his face from under my lashes shyly. He was in deep sleep, his breathing long and even, and I couldn't look away from him. Perhaps I was a bit too bold in saying so, but this hidden side of him made me see just how incredibly handsome he was. True, I was instinctively afraid of him and he had been harsh with me but the gentleness with which he had held me to himself after he told me to just accept my fate was something I just couldn't bring myself to dislike.

In fact, I tried to think of many reasons as to why I should be using this chance to get out of his hold, but my body refused to move. I just wanted to bask in the warmth and serenity of the moment – the sweaty serenity of the moment, actually. But in all, I felt...accepted.