Chapter 6 - Orochimaru

Harumi pov:

Quite contrary to what I had initially thought, the people from the Akatsuki were really nice. They had spoken to me kindly, even though they were a bit intimidating, and had made a deal to bring me firewood in exchange for ceramics whenever they required it. After making the deal, I was escorted back to the Earth Village by Itachi san, a quiet man with black hair in a ponytail and red eyes, and Tobi kun, a man with short spiky black hair and a swirly orange mask covering his face with a hole only for his left eye. I couldn't see his eye though.

Tobi kun was like a little kid and spoke in a cute voice as he skipped most of the way to my house. He was very friendly too and I felt like I had made another nice friend. Well, I suppose I could call Itachi san as my friend too but he wasn't very talkative or social.

When we reached my house, I introduced them to Grandpa and Tobi kun and I both got a whack on the head. I got one because I had gone too deep into the forest and Tobi kun got one for almost breaking one of the ceramics in his excitement of seeing them. Itachi san didn't really bother about the situation, merely observing everything silently, and he left with Tobi kun soon after they had had dinner on my insistence.

Two days later, Kakuzu san and Hidan san had dropped by in the evening to deliver some firewood. Kakuzu san took a few of my finest ceramics in return saying that he would sell them in a big market so they could get funds for the Akatsuki. Grandpa and I were also informed that their leader Pein san had promised to send us a load of firewood every fifteen days – this deal was definitely a really good one.

Today was another uneventful day at the stall. I had sold just three items to the scanty crowd in my stall and it was closing time now. I covered all the ceramics with sheets like usual and put all the packing boxes away in the store room. I picked up my bag and I waved to the neighboring stall owners in evening greeting as goodbye for the day. I usually closed up a little earlier than most of the stalls in the market since I had to go home and prepare dinner for Grandpa and myself.

Just as I left my stall, I stopped in my tracks and looked behind when I heard my name being called. I brightened upon seeing Kabuto kun stepping towards me smiling and waving his hand. It had been quite some time since his last visit and I had to say, I had missed his company.

"Kabuto kun!" I called and threw my arms around his neck in a hug when he was close enough. I giggled but tensed when I realized what I had just done. I pulled away and stepped back a little only to notice that Kabuto kun was watching me with wide eyes. I stuck my tongue out and scratched the back of my head sheepishly. "I'm sorry I hugged you so suddenly. It's just that I missed you..."

He snapped out of his moment of shock and chuckled while adjusting his glasses. "That's alright."

"Um, I closed up for the day..." I said while glancing at my shop, assuming that he had come to buy something. But he shook his head and walked closer to me.

"I didn't come to buy anything, Haru chan. I came to ask you for a favor. Would it be alright if we talked at your house?" he asked gently.

"Sure! But on one condition," I said cheekily and held up and finger. He didn't lose his smile but narrowed his eyes just a bit in curiosity as he nodded. "You have to stay for dinner!"

"Sure, I wouldn't mind that," he agreed with a laugh.

"Let's go, then!" I chimed and we walked back to my house side by side at a comfortable pace while sparing random topic conversations. When we reached home, I entered using the spare key and let Kabuto kun inside as well. We took off our shoes and put on the house slippers and entered the living room.

"I'm home, Grandpa! Kabuto kun is here too!" I called out but, oddly enough, I didn't get any response.

"Hmm...is he taking a nap?" I mumbled to myself and glanced at Kabuto kun. "Make yourself comfortable, Kabuto kun. I'll go check if Grandpa is sleeping."