Phase 7, part 2

I thought I'm prepared for it, but when it finally comes, it still makes me furious

There is a huge aircarrier floating above Bifröst. Its only purpose is to spread a message through massive speakers, repeated twice every half an hour.

"An important announcement. Europe's Ministry of Castaway Matters has reclaimed the Flicker serums, both the cure and the vaccine, and is willing to provide it to every Castaway who asks for it. We offer a full amnesty to Castaways who run away from Bifröst and joins our side again. You will not be prosecuted if you return. If you were thinking about switching sides, if you were forced to join Nightingale because of the serums, now it's the right time to change sides. I repeat..."

It's no surprise that little rebel groups started to appear as soon as the first announcement was made. I was thinking about just letting them go - after all, I don't need disloyal individuals in my army. But in the end, I decided they should be punished.

Nobody will be leaving this city against my will.

I observe a small clash near the city gates from the rooftop of a nearby building. A small group of traitors made it this far, but I guess they already realized their little rebellion was futile. One by one, they fall under the gunfire of my loyal soldiers. Dead bodies are scattered throughout the whole city.

Even though it's a rather gruesome sight, it makes me smile. I guess it's because it makes up for Isaiah's escape a little. Nobody else will escape me now. I know it's a bit petty, but after all, I am the ruler here. And my word is the law.

My enemies outside must be disappointed - they probably expect a crowd of guilty Castaways begging for forgiveness. Well, one more point for me.

I can't risk someone foiling my plans now, when I'm so close. NSS Opportunity parked in the city's docks is almost ready for its fateful mission. I can't let this minor inconvenience interfere with the great scheme that is soon to happen.

"Don't you think this decision was a bit too resolute?" asks Roxanna, also known as Scarlet Sparrow, standing next to me. She's also watching the carnage below us, but she seems more curious and horrified than pleased. I feel she would love to stop me.

"I should have known you will have compassion with those who change sides like socks," I smile at her. "Do you still regret betraying your... friends?"

"I've never regretted it," she retorts, running her hand through her short, black and red hair. This gesture tells me she's not being completely honest. I can already read her body language well. I've already seen her body in all its beauty, but I've also seen her lie.

But I'm not going to blame her for that.

"There may be a time where you'll have to face your former allies," I tell her. "Konstantin. Or Zoya, your apprentice. There won't be a time for being sentimental, you know?"