Phase 4: Out of Control, part 1

"...the events of the past days have thrown Europe into chaos. The Neoclash championship was cancelled until further notice, making a lot of people lose their biggest hobby and favorite way to spend their free time. More and more renowned Neoclash Champions are joining Nightingale's army since they are promised the anti-Flicker serum.

Coincidentally, the number of Castaways infected with Flicker is still growing and the Castaway surgeons still don't have any idea why. In public, however, there is a widespread belief that the virus is spread intentionally by Nightingale herself in order to gain her more followers.

Europe is now being divided into two fractions. Large numbers of Castaways are joining Nightingale while more and more Healthy are claiming allegiance to the extremist Yeomen movement, for instance, those whose Champions defected to the enemy side. The danger of all-out war is imminent since less and less people are staying neutral in this case. It's only a matter of time before a direct conflict breaks out. The question is - how many casualties will the war have and how will it affect Europe's future?"

· TV Neoclash International, June 20th, 132

The furious ride continues.

Several more cars fell victim to my flamethrower, but I'm afraid I'm running out of fuel. The windshield on my car is already broken on several spots, but thanks to its crafty design, the glass doesn't shatter whole. A few bullets already ended inside the car and one of them even damaged my bionic arm, but I'm still riding.

The wall is so close now...

With an enraged groan, I crash into the car next to me, making the reader lose control. The car skids and ends up in a nearby wall. I'm lucky they can't send larger cars after me since they would be too slow to catch up. Only smaller vessels with a Counter-gravity engine can possess a threat to me now.

However, I forgot about one more thing.

I hear bullets rapidly ricochetting from the roof of the cargo space. At first, I don't realize anything strange. Then it hits me. The bullets are flying from above, not even from the roofs above me. I take a careful look outside and see two light aircrafts, gray with the AVIA logo on them, flying above me.

Castaways are leaning from it and shooting at me. Great. Now I'm completely surrounded - front, back, left, right, above. And the van is slowly reaching its breaking point. Even if I manage to get through the gate, they will pursue me for sure. But I have to try at least.

I start to roam the boulevard in a zig-zag pattern, crashing into any car that gets in my way. But that's not my main intention. For the gunners on the aircrafts, it's hard to aim from such height, especially when considering they still don't have enough practice with firearms.

That means they often miss and their bullets hit the cars pursuing me instead. And the standard models for personal use are nowhere as durable as the transport van. The bullets either hit the bonnet and destroy the engine inside, or go straight through the roof and kill either the driver, the gunner or both when I'm lucky.