Phase 5: War Council, part 1

The biggest risk for a Castaway's health is the Flicker. Although there are several risk factors which increase the chances of the illness developing, its occurence seems to be random and cannot be prevented. On average, one out of seventeen Castaways develops Flicker throughout their life.

Although they're endangered by the Flicker, the Castaways are usually highly resistant to usual illnesses, given that their immune system hasn't been damaged by the Radiance. Because of their changed physique, they are close to immune to standard cancer and also they are less likely to develop some of the most common civilization diseases such as obesity, epilepsy or Alzheimer's.

·  A snippet from an article on a website about Castaway health. Note: the article was written before Ryan's research of the Flicker and invention of the serums.

 Note: the article was written before Ryan's research of the Flicker and invention of the serums

Here I am again. If you don't remember me, I'm one of Zoya's friends, the blue-haired sassy guy with detachable bionic hands. But now, my life is riding on a more serious wave. I know that we'll need everyone in the upcoming conflict and there's one person we must have in our team.

Or maybe I just really want to see her again and save her from her demons.

I know she lived in Bifröst before the shit hit the fan (damn, how I love this expression), but where did she go after that? The seized city's inhabitants were sent to temporary houses all over DIANA, but looking for just one person seems to be impossible.

But she's a member of our team and we'll need her soon. I have to find her.

I downloaded the list of all the places where Bifröst refugees were relocated after Nightingale seized the city - there are about thirty of them, all large housing estates. Surprisingly enough, Bifröst isn't a big city at all. These estates were enough to accomodate all the Bifröst inhabitants.

At least it means less work for me since I have to take these estates one by one and ask its ambassadors about one particular Castaway. I already checked twelve of them in Norway and four in Sweden. That means me and my faithful bike are now aiming towards the estate number seventeen.

This estate is located in the suburban area of Göteborg. It's strange, but not surprising that the cities in DIANA aren't half as vibrant and lively as they usually are. The looming threat of war is able to break even the biggest optimists, especially when the epicentre of the whole problem is so close to them.

The Bifröst refugees could be moved so easily also because many DIANA inhabitants decided to leave the federation and temporarily move somewhere more to the south, away from Bifröst and Nightingale's army. If the person I'm looking for also fled to a different state, I'm screwed.

The Göteborg estate looks quite similar to many others I've already visited - a field of high-rise buildings, containing more or less comfortable flats, surrounded by a nice natural landscape. I found out who's the owner of these estates - it's some Dianian millionaire named Frederikson.