Phase 5, part 3

The Wardens return the fire using their shock rifles

The Wardens return the fire using their shock rifles. One by one, the armed Yeomen thugs collapse on the ground, their bodies wriggling in spasms.

"Zoya! Get down there, we're behind you!" Albert shouts.

And so I run. I pass the "checkpoint" for visitors and descend the stairs. I kick out the door leading to the arena itself, finding myself on the terraces where I fought Petra.

To my surprise, the place is rather busy. The arena and the terraces are already almost disassembled by a group of workers. Several Yeoman thugs are supervising them, but as soon as we appear, they aim their weapons at us and fire.

I hide behind one of the seats which are still standing and snipe the enemies from a safe distance - well, snipe isn't the right word since handling long-range weapons isn't exactly something I'm great at.

On the opposite side of the room, out of our firing range, I see two lonely figures - Bureš and Petra. It seems that the corrupted politician wanted to supervise the destruction of his arena himself. Judging from his calm posture, it seems that he expected this to happen.

When it seems the fortune started to favor the Warden squad, Bureš just casually grabs a pentop and speaks a few words. A minute later, the large wooden door leading from the underground halls to the arena open and a large squadron of Yeomen thugs storms in.

"Damn... we have a problem!" I hear Albert yell. "We didn't expect such heavy resistance!"

The problem is that we should have. Bureš's political career and his life outside the prison depends on if he can keep this place away from the law enforcement - and we should have known that he'll do anything to stop us from disclosing it.

In that case, I have to take justice into my own hands.

I leave my hideout and run straight towards Bureš through the half-disassembled terraces, jumping from seat to seat and avoiding dangerous gaps. Some of the thugs notice me and try to gun me down, but my movements are so fast and unpredictable they always miss.

Bureš notices the incoming danger and makes his way to one of the doors leading to the underground halls, closely followed by Petra. I go after them. Some of the thugs try to stop me, but my Warden friends got me covered. The Yeomen collapse on the floor, struck by a blast from the shock rifle.

I exit the large room where the arena used to be and follow Bureš to the labyrinthine hallways. I have to slow down since the hallways are hardly illuminated at all. Instead of my eyesight, I try to utilize my ears to locate their footsteps and follow them.

I pass numerous wooden doors leading to the cellars where the Castaway fighters, including me, were held. A horrible thought passes my mind - what happened to them? It's not even a question. The most probable scenario is that someone just pulled a gun against their forehead and pulled the trigger.