Phase 6: Trust, part 1

"I am one of the Castaways who decided to serve the Europe as a Warden, a peacekeeper whose mission is to enforce the law, help those in need and punish whoever would want to cause them harm. Now, I voluntarily accept all rights and all responsibilities connected with this mission.

I promise I will never misuse my authority to break laws or help someone break them. I promise to be impartial under all circumstances. I promise I will never use my power to harm someone unless completely necessary. I promise that I will do whatever it takes to make life in this society better, that I will do my part in eliminating crime, wickedness, and injustice.

So help me God."

· A promise made by graduating Warden cadets, abridged

Finally, back in Jaroslav Havel's house.

With growing disgust, I watch the evening news report on TV. There is a big title on the top of the screen written in a dramatic font - Who can we trust?

I listen to the broadcaster whose voice and face are just as dramatic as the letters above her:

"This morning, another gruesome terrorist attack has been committed in Prague, Visegradia. A group of Castaways raided a well-known pub known as Studený peklo, The Cold Hell, and caused a massive explosion in the building's basement which razed the pub to the ground.

It's not surprising that the Castaway terrorists chose this building as their target since it's known as a sanctuary of individuals with anti-Castaway opinions, including their more extremist branches such as the Yeomen. However, not even this fact can justify the attack which is estimated to have at least twenty victims.

The attack once again divided society. Some of the people point out the scandal which happened earlier this year where the so-called Castaway terrorists who hijacked a train were disclosed as anti-Castaway extremists in disguise. Other insist that the attack on Studený peklo cannot be the case.

And now, to the most interesting point of the whole story. The eyewitnesses, including the survivors of the attack, describe the terrorist group as Castaway Wardens. They had corresponding uniforms and they were also carrying shock rifles, Wardens' trademark weapon. There are also groundless testimonies claiming the apparent terrorist group included Zoya, better known as Tempest, the current Champion of Champions and a passionate opponent of the Yeomen.

Her supporters argue that she would never lower herself to such a heinous act, the others claim she went too far with her anti-Yeomen agenda. However, no matter if Zoya was among them or not, one thing seems to be for sure - the attackers were Wardens, the Castaway law enforcers who are supposed to fight for us and protect us. This raises a question - who can we trust now? The Wardens were accepted as Castaways who fight for the good of the whole society, both the Healthy and the Castaways. But now it seems that we apparently can't be completely sure about them, either.