KABANATA LV

KABANATA LV: Delighted

 Ken's POV

I could hear noises around me. Kung anu-ano ang naririnig kong sinasabi nila pero malabo ang lahat. Ni hindi ko magawang buksan ang mga mata ko dahil sa 'twing gagawin ko yun ay parang pinupunit sa sakit ang buo kong pagkatao.

The sharp stinging pain on my lower body feels like hell.  My head is throbbing. My legs fell crappy.  Everything about my d-amn body sucks—big time. I wonder what the hell is happening around me. Dahil kung ako ang tatanungin, I could feel the eerie noise around me creepy.

I feel uneasy.

Gulong-gulo ang isip ko kung ano ang nangyayari sa paligid. I calmed my thoughts and think of what really happened. Pakiramdam ko ay niyanig ang buo kong pagkatao ng bumalik sa alaala ko ang mga nangyari.

Every clouded thought became clear. I remember seeing Mandy crying. She's grief-stricken and her face shows how painful she is feeling right that moment. I wanted to touch her face and hush her tears but I was too d-amn weak.

All I can do is say how much I love her and succumb to the darkness that dawned on me.  

I panicked. I felt my numb body shook in fear.

"Is she alright?" 'yun agad ang pumasok sa isip ko.I wanted to open my eyes to look for her but my body forbids me. I felt so weak right this moment.

I heard my surrounding turned to a death hall. Biglang tumahimik ang lahat. I could hear a beeping sound but I was not sure of what is it.

Moments later, I felt a warm soft hand held my own. The touch felt familiar. The kind of sensation it gives me felt so familiar that I almost utter the name of the owner.

Gusto pakawalan ang hiningang hinigit ko dahil sa paghaplos niya. I know this hand belong to my one and only. She's fine. She's alive—nothing else matter.

I tried to peek and seek for her face but my lids were shut too tight. I can't seem to find the will to open my goddamned eyes.

Naririnig ko ang paghikbi niya. I can hear her sobs every now and then. But d-amn I can't open my fvcking eyes.

"Baby.." she whispered unto me. God knows how much I wanted to answer her endearment. Sabik na sabik akong bigkasin ang pangalan niya.

She kept on telling me stories and I found myself listening—dahil yun lang ang kaya kong gawin. I could only listen to her whims and sobs and do nothing about it.

I felt so useless.

Naramdaman ko ang pag-angat niya sa kamay ko. I don't know where she plans to put it. But not until I felt a soft round shaped surface around my palms. I wanted to gasp in my sleep but I just can't. I'm too useless to move even the tip of my fingers.

"We're all waiting, Ken. But this little one will need you the most. Our angel needs you so much."

With those words, an indescribable feeling dawned my being. I felt so much stronger. I felt something move from afar. Hindi ko alam kung tama ba ang naramdaman ko pero may gumalaw sa pagitan ng kamay ko. It sends a thousand feeling across my numb body.

It felt so good to feel that kind of touch—and for the first time, I felt like a full pledged father. A father who hasn't seen his child but the feeling is nonetheless satisfying.