Cocoon

The water felt like a safe cocoon. The touch of water wrapped around the body touching the skin lightly. In comparison, tight clothing restricted movement clung onto the body and strangled the senses. Water remained a constant and predictable element whereas life proved unpredictable and inconsistent. Water was easy to read and get into the flow of, but people were practically unreadable and social situations were difficult to get into the flow of.

Haru's grandmother was like water. She knew when and what kind of touches were okay yet remained until her death a constant and predictable element within Haru's life. The high school swimmer didn't know when Makoto took over her role beyond the knowledge of the event occurring after his grandmother's death, yet Makoto also probed a predictable and constant element in his life. Despite this, Makoto couldn't replace the warm cocooning hugs Haru received from his grandmother.

Makoto made sure Haru showed up for all necessary social activities. The reasons for spending time at Rin and Gou's remained in Haru's head simply a matter of proper formality he never expected he would understand, yet Amakata sensei seemed intent on pushing another social custom Haru didn't understand. e d He did understand the implications of what he saw on the television and suddenly nothing felt like a safe cocoon.

In the back of his mind, he didn't know how he got home but surmised Makoto had something to do with him getting home safely. Haru simply knew a blanket safely cocooned him while he sat on his bed staring at nothing. The safety of his cocoon didn't prevent him from worrying about the news broadcast and mentally imagining horrible things happening to Haruna, but his worry didn't prevent Haru from drifting off.

Looking around the vast city made Haru feel anxious. None of the sites matched the small village he lived in with his grandmother, but instead, the buildings towered around him almost as if he were looking in at Tokyo or one of Japan's other large cities. His eyes darted around as he continued walking, yet mentally he found himself not liking the lack of familiarity.

Something kept nagging in the back of his mind, but he found himself feeling as if he were being followed. Glancing back simply revealed a cloudy blank sport he couldn't mentally make out. Haru felt both alone and not at the same time, yet couldn't place the reason for feeling as if he weren't alone as nobody passed by on the streets.

His throat started closing almost as if someone covered his mouth and panic set in. Haru attempted fighting the nightmare which held him in their clutches and somehow found himself awakening. His ears picked up on the message machine going off.

"Haru? Haru-chan. This is your mother. I don't know if you saw the news, but it is important to call us as soon as possible. Please do, sweat heart."

Instead of calling her back he wrapped the blanket tighter and rocked himself back and forth. He heard Makoto come in with food, yet Haru didn't feel like eating. He didn't even feel like drawing up a bath so he might plunge into the water. His mind spun and the nightmare kept repeating as did the phone calls from his parents begging him to pick up and answer the phone.

'Haru? Haru-chan?" No beep came before. "It's me. Makoto."

Haru's ears picked out the creaking of the bed as Makoto sat down on the edge. His friend didn't say anything and instead waited patiently in hopes Haru might look up.

"How long has he been like this?" The sound of their homeroom teacher speaking made Haru's head jerk up slightly, and yet he didn't stop sitting on his bed with his arms wrapped around his legs and his head covered with the blanket.

"Since Rin and I brought him home. I doubt he's eaten anything sensei."

Haru heard a slight humming sound and footsteps in the hallway, yet Haru still remained under the blanket. The room remained silent as Makoto sat on the foot of the bed, but Haru felt the bed shift as Makoto leaned back. Haru imagined the reason was so Makoto could look at the ceiling and contemplate the current situation along with various solutions. Haru buried his face into his arms, but in the back of his mind, he knew he couldn't contemplate a solution to her disappearance.

Haru's nose wiggled slightly when one breath of air caught the scent of something interesting, yet he remained under the covers. Makoto let out a deep sigh. "Sounds like sensei is attempting to lure you out with food Haru."

Haru didn't verbally respond, but his stomach did. The few days of not eating along with delicious smells coming from the kitchen made his stomach grumble.

"You're hungry, aren't you? That's really not surprising considering how long it's likely been since you ate anything. I rather miss stopping by in the mourning and finding you cooking mackerel."

"Makeral..."

"I doubt Amakata sensei is making mackerel. I'm not sure she knows just how much you like mackerel."

"Tokyo..." Haru's head moved up slightly as a lightbulb went off in his head. His arms loosened from around his legs allowing him to stretch them out. Haru's entire body felt stiff, yet he didn't think about how stiff he felt. Instead, he turned and set his feet onto the ground. Every movement was carefully watched by Makoto. "Tokyo."

"Are you thinking of going to Tokyo, Haru?" Makoto, of course, guessed what Haru was thinking.

"Haruna's there."

"Maybe..."

"I find her." Haru stretched his legs again.

"Haru..." Makoto took a deep breath. "You can't." Haru turned and looked at Makoto. "You can't go to Tokyo and look for her."

"I go." Haru stood up and started towards the door. The bed let out a nice creak when Makoto stood up. Haru headed towards the main area where their teacher set out a rather simple meal made from some of the items found in the home. She took a deep breath and looked up.

"Is he going swimming?"

"Tokyo."

Makoto hurried forward and gently turned Haru around. "Nope. We don't need to be looking for you as well. Okay." Haru's friend pushed him slightly towards the table. "Eat."

Haru sat down and started picking at the food, but eventually began eating very slowly. Amakata sensei leaned over. "I'm right in being worried about him, aren't I."

"Probably. It's a rather complicated situation."