Nightmare Paralysis

Elsa POV

"Astrid, if you don't eat that cookie I will," I warned. She looked at me and laughs. "Okay Els, okayyy," she utters. "Are you okay though? Because you don't seem okay," I tell her.

"I'm fine," Astrid replies, taking a bite of a chocolate chip cookie. I raise an eyebrow. "If you are fine, why did you drag me outside in the night time to sit by the river- and not speak the entire time we've been here?" I ask.

She sighs. "Okay, I'm not fine," she admits. She falls back on the grass, letting out a huge breath of air. "This whole baby business," she starts. "And Merida decided to just up and leave because of the way I was behaving. I mean- I have a very strong dislike for her. But it's the baby I'm worried about," Astrid fumed.

"It's still Hiccup's baby," she mutters. "What's wrong with her?! Why the heck did she think it was okay to do that?" Astrid asked, looking agitated.

"I tried stopping her... but she is just so stubborn," I state. "I'm mad at Hiccup, I hate Merida- but Hiccup's baby is still his baby. And Merida just ran away while knowing of all the danger she can come across in this place," she continues.

"I know how hard this is for you," I say. "I'm sorry this happened... you don't deserve to be overwhelmed over this subject," I add.

"I know. It's just-"

I suddenly hear low screeching sounds, and rumbling. Astrid and I turn our heads towards the forest way afar off to the right, and see nightmares traveling in their sand form, and coming at a fast speed. They traveled together as a whirlwind of dust, but you could see the shape of their eyes and mouth.

My heart fell to my chest, and I felt like I was about to vomit. The fear that overtook me was nothing like I've ever experienced.

I've only ever encountered Pitch, but not his nightmares. Pitch wasn't as frightening as what I'm seeing right now. Well they are called nightmares. Apparently, they are suppose to inflict such a severe terror that you are paralyzed with fear, and cannot move.

I guess it's true, because I literally can't move a finger. "Astrid," I whispered, a tear rolling down my cheek with my eyes glued on the deadly rushing nightmares hurdling in our direction. "I can't breathe," Astrid responded, just as quiet as me.

The nightmares still had a long way to go, seeing how the woods was a far way away from the house we were staying in. There was an empty grassland that went for miles after the river, and the nightmares started coming down that path.

"We have to go Astrid," I whisper. Get up Elsa, move.

Overcome your fear.

Get up!

Get uppp!

I let out a loud screech as I jumped up and pulled Astrid with me. "Let's go!" I shout. I know the second they catch up to us, we will be dead. And I'm not trying to die at such a young age.

"Hiccup! Anna! Get out of the house and run!" Astrid shouted.

Anna looked out her window, and down at us. "What?" Anna asked, watching us confused. "ANNA! Get out of the house and run straight ahead!" I scream. Hiccup rushes downstairs, and is about to come out the door. "Don't look out the door Hiccup, there are nightmares coming," I warn.

"Nightmares?!" He shouts. "Yes, and they have the ability to paralyze with fear so go!" Astrid shouts. She regained her movement and started running towards the house. "Go out the back door and run!" She shouts, about to go in the house and take the back door.

She then pauses. "Elsa, come on!" She yells, without turning around. "No. I need to hold them off and buy you guys some time. Go, now!" I shout.

"What?! But-"

"No, go. I won't change my mind, so you can either stay and die for nothing, or go and escape," I state. She sighs, and continues on her way. I turn around, and stare at the nightmares which are really close.

I wasn't paralyzed in fear, but I still was scared enough to the point where I began to shake. "Oh God..." I mumbled. I tried to shoot icicles, but nothing would happen. The best I could do was to get my hands a little cold, and make it snow.

"What the heck!" I shouted. "Get it together Elsa!" I exclaimed. The fear was so much that I couldn't even muster enough energy to use my power to fight. The nightmares were extremely close at this point, so I jumped into the river, and began swimming as fast as I possibly could.

I could hear their low screeches very close, which meant they were gaining on me. I know I couldn't escape so I stopped swimming and turned around to see how close they were. As soon as I turned around I saw them about twelve inches from my face- making me let out a loud screech.

I felt like I was gonna pass out at any point now. The nightmares separated, and surrounded me- looking as if they were about to pounce any second.

I quickly dropped under water, knowing they can't keep their form in water.

I held my breath, and shut my eyes. I could still hear their screeches which meant they were hovering above the water waiting for me. I would honestly rather drown than be killed off by those things.

Minutes went by, and I felt my body begin to shut down as I forced myself not to go up to the surface.

Am I really going to die?

This all seems too unreal.