Chapter 10

{sneak peek to the new book at @janetallmadge}

Present day

My team and I got into a train of minecarts.

We all sat inside our minecarts and activated the systems, shooting us off. A large crowd of Resistance members waved us goodbye. I hoped it wasn't a very long goodbye.

"So," I said as we rode through the mines, "tell us about yourselves, each of you, and I'll tell you where we're going."

"I'm Bradley," the voice of Bradley behind me immediately began.

"Aren't you to top ranked soldier in the Resistance?" Maria asked from the cart behind me.

"Yes I am," Bradley said, sounding flattered. "I'm also 14, I've been in the Resistance for 6 monthes, and I prefer fighting with a sword, but I can do archery if I want to."

I noticed that he didn't mention his "powers" at all.

For our team to be united, there would be no secrets.

"I'm going to go ahead and be a jerk," I warned. "Bradley, tell them everything."

Bradley's sigh filled a ravine as we plunged forwards.

"I can see in the dark and into people's inventories," Bradley said hastily.

No one spoke for a moment. Then Braden Allessi muttered, "turn up," and introduced himself. "My name is Braden Allessi. My second name is called a last name. It used to be a thing a long time ago. Anyways, just call me Braden. I just joined the Resistance, and to be honest I don't trust them very much, but I hate Herobrine. And, uh, I like running and archery."

I noticed that Braden sounded sort of quiet. That was good. Having one sane person in the group was always important.

"I'm Rax," the brewer spoke up when no one would talk. "I'm 16 and I brew. I joined the Resistance 6 monthes ago. I fight with an enchanted battle axe."

He stopped and there was yet another moment where all we could hear were the sounds of the railroad clicking under our carts.

Then Maria began. "I'm Maria and I'm 12. I haven't technically joined the Resistance yet but I want to. Herobrine took my mother and I was rescued in the battle yesterday. I'm also an archer."

She didn't mention that I saved her, thank goodness. I didn't want it to seem like I favored her or anything. Or that we had some kind of different connection than everyone else did.

After that thought, Bradley said, "Hey, Ender, aren't you going to go?"

...

3 years earlier

Ben watched from the corner of the room, hidden. Jane was interrogating Gregor, the boy he had her get. Ben noticed that he looked a lot like him. Brown hair and blue eyes. He seemed nervouse and Jane looked amused. Ugh, if only she would stop smiling at him, Ben thought.

"Young?" We'' I might not have explained this. See, here in the HH, the oldest member is Ben," Ben smirked, "who is 13. We believe that youth can be... more intelligent than those older than us."

Suddenly Grace walked in. Ben wondered why she wasn't in bed; was no one asleep tonight?

"Who's this?" Grace asked.

"A possible victim," Jane told her. Greogor blanched, Ben guessing that it was because of how nonchalant she sounded. "This is Grace," Jane told Gregor, "one of our members."

Grace and Jane talked about files for a minute until Grace walked out of the room, hopefully to return to sleep.

Jane explained some more things to Gregor and called all of the HH into room L-1, where they already were.

For fear of being discovered, Ben slipped out of the office and sprinted back in as if he had just arrived. "Yes?'

"Introduce yourself to our newest member."

...

Present day

"Me? I've got nothing to tell," I said.

Bradley practically snorted. "Nothing to tell? You challenged Ben for leadership and won, better than anything anyone else has ever done. You lead us into battle, and now you're about to lead us on a journey to rescue your rival without a second thought."

"All of that happened over the course of one week. The rest of my life hasn't been so heroic."

"Come on, Ender," Braden insisted.

"There's-"

"Ender! Be honest with us like we were with you!"

"Fine! Herobrine killed my family! My mom and dad, and all 5 of my brothers and sisters when I was 9, so I was forced to become a miner and work for a minimum wage off salary. I just happened to stumble on Ben and Ridge. It should have never ocurred! That's it! My life isn't very ideal now, is it?"

Out of all of our awkward silences so far, this was most certainly the most awkward of them all. No one wanted to speak. I had just scared them all off. I was that leader now.

We just chugged through caverns of stone, through the prison I was forced to use so that I wouldn't die as a child. The prison where Motir and I hid with his sisters at age 11 to hide from Herobrine's soldiers when they took over Minecraft. The prison that I had now lead in. The prison that made me want to save up for a morph mod so that I could turn into a bird and escape.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. Turning around, I saw Maria looking at me with a smile. "Ender," she said, "we've all been through that too. Let us help you. We need to work together as a team."

Rax, Bradley, and Braden, all smiled supportively at me too. It was the most attention I'd ever gotten in my life.

"Okay," I agreed.

Our moment was interrupted by the sound of barking.

"A dog?" Maria asked.

We were speeding through a 1 by 2 strip mine. I used the controller given to me and stopped the minecarts. We all heave our cramped bodies out, Rax swinging out his axe, Bradley unsheathing his sword, and Maria, Braden, and I loading our bows.

Another tunnel was in front of us when we turned right and we started down it. It only took a few seconds for us to spot something. It was something that made us almost drop our weapons.

A dog was leaning over a motionless body.

---------------------

I am so so so so sorry for taking so long. I have alost absolutely no time on my hands. Anyone got any tips for dealing with homework so that I can have the time to update?

On another note: How's school? What's your favorite subject?