Chapter 25

"You're alive!"

  "Don't be so surprised," I told Maria as we joined them by the hiding place. Gregor and Ben were a few blocks behind me, and I knew any second Ben was going to get to see Jane again. The idea caused my stomach to twist in anticipation.

  Rax and Bradley seemed to not have killed each other, so that was good.

  "Ben?" 

  I already knew who it was. Who else could it be?

  I watched as Jane rushed forward and brought her best friend in a hug. "I've missed you so much."

  Then she pulled away. "Well actually I feel like I saw you a few hours ago."

  Ben laughed and they began to talk about how much older he seemed to be than her now, being 16.

  I began to wonder what it was like to come back to the living. Heck, I didn't know what it was like to die. In fact, I felt like I'd only recently learned what it was like to be living.

  "So what now?" Braden asked, slinging a bow over his shoulder.

  "We split up," Gregor said, catching me by surprise. We'd just all gotten reunited. Why would we leave each other?

  "What do you mean?" I asked.

  Gregor glances at his friends. "I think I need to visit your Resistance. It sounds like they need some help raiding Herobrine."

  Maria looked confused. "Well if you're going to go to the Resistance, then where are the rest of us going?"

  Ben and Jane looked uneasy, as if the three'd already telepathically discussed it. 

  "You guys are going to go hunt down Herobrine," said Gregor.

.  .  .

  Gregor, Jane, and Ben set off, just like old times. The rest of the team agreed to go deeper into the Mountains of Moran, searching for Herobrine, while the rest returned to the Resistance.

  "So why are you so nervous to go back? You've been living there for the past three years," Gregor asks Ben. His friend had seemed anxious to get back to the Resistance HQ, as if they didn't like him.

  "I'm not nervous, it's just... I had a harsh reputation there."

  Jane actually laughed. "You? A harsh reputation? You're the nicest person I know."

  Ben smiled, but just faintly. "After you two died, it was trouble to stay kind. I didn't have anyone to calm me down. It started about a month after that fight with Herobrine. Lora and Grace could tell. Ridge has been a help though. He's been in charge of the Resistance while we're gone. He's third in command. And I'm sure he'll be excited to see you guys."

  Smiling, Gregor found himself wanting to laugh. I would hope so, he thought.

  By nightfall, they reached the Resistance HQ. Nothing seemed wrong to Gregor, but Ben kept mentioning how weird everything felt.

  As they rode down a minecart to the enterance, Ben told them there were supposed to be miners working there. "It should be loud and noisy, not quiet and eerie."

  Perhaps that was when they should have turned back. Maybe then it wouldn't have been too late.

  But they didn't. They kept going onwards.

  Ben lead them through a tunnel after they got off the minecarts. Everything was silent for a second until a soft rumbling penetrated Gregor's ears. Then he asked a question that is always asked before certain dire situations.

  "What's that noise?"

  No one had time to answer, because they didn't need one. After all, how hard could it be to see the mob of Resistance members rushing towards them.

  "Ben! Gregor! Jane!" They shouted in unision.

  Gregor wondered for a second if they were cheering for them, instead of asking how the mob could tell it was them. 

  It was soon obvious they weren't cheering for them. It's hard to miss when someone, referring to you and your friends, shouts:

  "Kill them!"

--------------------------------------------------

Hey guys. I just purchased the book I wrote for my friend, so I'll show you a picture when I get it.

What do you think will happen next?